Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Blackwing as touring plane

I have to be honest – if I see one more composite baked slick 2-seater with a Rotax 912s and a stick instead of a yoke, I’m going to puke.

You better not come to Aero Friedrichshafen then They have halls full of these and yes they all look similar. I thought this first one was pretty

The Blackwing, I believe

I still remember the fantastic performance of the MCR01 advertised by Dyn Aero

I still remember the fantastic performance of the DA42 210kt and 2000nm range.

OTOH there might be a reason for this

Presumably it is a formula which is relatively easy to design with some CAD package, and the less restrictive rules mean the barrier to entry is way lower than with certified planes. So it doesn’t cost millions to knock something up and exhibit it and see if it generates interest.

These miniscule planes will be very fast however – cockpit volume is Job #1 if you want speed and MPG.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

What engine would you put into an RV8 to fly MoGas?

Any carbureted 0-360 like the 360-A1P with a govenor. You can run them on cargas oversquare at 2000RPM/ 24 MP at 26l/h. Make sure you add a good gascolator like the one from ANDAIR. Been running MOGAS or Italian green since 1500 hrs in our Husky. No vapor lock in the summer and no pronblems till 18.000 ft

EDTQ / Sarentino

why not an injected IO360 (the low compression version, like the M1B) ? Why I often hear the association of MOGAS with Carbureted Engines? It’s a genuine question , I’m not an expert, but I don’t see why a low compression injected engine should not work with low octane gasoline, if the equivalent low compression carbureted version can.

Why I often hear the association of MOGAS with Carbureted Engines?

Peterson found some injection systems troublesome with MoGas. They at some point stopped testing, I guess. But there are many OWT out there…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Peter wrote:

Presumably it is a formula which is relatively easy to design with some CAD package,

I think it is rather the “only” answer to the parameters: 2 seater, Rotax 912, MTOW 450 kg, max stall speed 65 km/h, composite materials, and fly as fast as possible. But then again, Pipistrel proves the opposite so maybe the CAD theory isn’t all that bad.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Presumably it is a formula which is relatively easy to design with some CAD package

Presumably supplemented with a photo from a 1985 magazine article on the Lancair 235…. The answer is that Lance Neibauer was an artist before he was a plane designer, and people still like the looks of what he created. The first prototype pictured below has been in the EAA museum since 1986, coming up on 30 years.

Some of the new ones are almost indistuishable from the original Lancair

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Dec 18:58

Silvaire wrote:

Presumably supplemented with a photo from a 1985 magazine article on the Lancair 235

Or maybe 30 years before that by Stelio Frati

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’m a great admirer of Stelio Frati’s designs but the genesis of the Lancair and its current derivatives is different. Lance Neibauer’s uncle was long before (early 50s, same time as the Falco) involved with development of the the Meyers 200, which is a fast plane. I think you can see the similarities, in particular the aft fuselage and tailcone shape .

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Dec 19:17

PS Here’s your Frati (Falco etc) dervative, in wood as per the ‘original’

Alpi Pioneer

AdamFrisch wrote:

and a stick instead of a yoke

What is wrong with a stick?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message