Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for homebuilders :)

The last post in this very much asked-for section was two weeks ago

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So? “Maintenance and Avionics” is 3 weeks since last post. Instructors is 9 months since last post.

Besides, it’s Christmas. Too much food, liqueur and relatives to do anything serious :-)

A tip though, ACS and ATS both have nice new year offers.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

BTW the homebuilders do post on other sections as well

Happy new year

Last Edited by europaxs at 01 Jan 07:42
EDLE

HNY.

As an occasional poster here I’m a home builder just about to get started with an Isaacs Fury build.

I’ve made the probably foolish choice to blog my progress, and you can find that blog here.

Jonathan, what a great initiative! I admire your courage and resolve.
What engine do you intend to use? It would be a shame to see a boxer on such a plane, that would quite spoil the good looks!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Good luck with the Fury project! My father was at one time a younger colleague of “Johnny” Isaacs, and will occasionally recount stories about him including sacrifices made so he could afford to fly. Living at the flying club etc IIRC. My dad married instead and I’m one result.

There is just something about biplanes that’s wonderful, and I think there’s no prettier biplane than the Hawker Fury. Re the blog entires, which I enjoyed, you might fly something more responsive than a Citabria before soloing the Isaacs Fury someday… A friend calls his Citabria “the Super Champ” (with a wink) to highlight both its Aeronca derived control feel and its developmental parallels to the Piper Super Cub… It does have a lot room for the pilot, which is no bad thing.

Me! Me! me! ;)

RV10 in Sussex

Last Edited by carlmeek at 05 Jan 02:17
EGKL, United Kingdom

Hi folks, thanks for the interest.

It’s a massively daunting undertaking, to scratch build a plane from plans. I hope I’m up to it.

I’m undecided about engine, but that might well be a decision that’s some way off. The 912 is an option that allows quite clean lines on the nose and is apprived by the LAA. A bit of me is also seduced by the potential climb rate of putting a 150 HP O-320, though…

I’ve just spoken to someone today who has agreed to act as inspector, so that’s how early in the process I am.

I’ve been re-reading Aeroplane Affair quite a bit, although John Isaacs seems to make light of the work he put in to complete first the Fury and later the Spitfire.

How’s the RV10 coming along, Carl? They are huge aeroplanes, but look fantastic. I don’t have the room (or finances) to contemplate one!

I would consider the 914 Turbo which is more expensive, but known to have great performance at altitude. In an investigation of an accident of a Stemme S 10 VT they found the engine producing about 125 hp. The 914 would always be my favourite choice – or the announced 915 of course :-)

EDLE

The 914 is a fine engine, but rather expensive. And indeed its main advantage – strong performance at altitude – might be less relevant in a plane intended for flights of one hour typically.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message