Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Microlight up to 600 kg MTOW

The last EAS newsletter has new info on this.

CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS FOR THE OPT OUT 600 KG MTOM – Rieteke van Luijt
MTOM – Maximum Take-off Mass
“….. Member States may decide to regulate aeroplanes, helicopters and sailplanes up to
600 kg nationally by simple notification ….”
Germany, Czech Republic and France are the first to use the opt out.
According to current information Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Poland, Slovakia,
Spain, Lithuania and even the UK will opt out. Italy is expected to follow later.
The German Airworthiness standard LTF-UL 2019 (Nfl 2-446-19 15 jan. 2019) will be
used in most countries.
Germany has made good progress with the Opt-Out. The CAA (LBA) published the new
technical requirements for 3 axis-controlled UL’s (Ultra-lights) and Gyros on 15 January
2019 and German LTF-ULH 2019 for UL-Helicopters was published on 28 February 2019.
In the Czech Republic the new rules were published in March. The Czechs coordinate
with DULV (Deutscher Ultraleichtflugverband) and DAeC (Deutscher Aero Club) and try to
be compatible with Germany as much as possible and also using the LTF-UL 2019 standard.
France has worked out a solution with the DGAC (Directorate General for Civil Aviaton)
for microlights to have up to 525 kg MTOM.
Europe Air Sports is now seeking a meeting with the European Civil Aviation Conference
(ECAC). We hope to make our case for an ECAC Recommendation intended to facilitate
simple cross border flying for aeroplanes up to 600 kg MTOM.
In separate news the FAI Microlight and Paramotor Commission, CIMA, has increased the
limits for microlight competitions to 600 kg MTOM, according to Opt-out conditions.

“even the UK will opt out”

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Administrator

I wonder how this will pan out. The P2008 is a VLA with MTOW of 640kg (if I’m not completely mistaken). However, the empty weight is so large that with two normal middle aged dudes, and no extra luggage, the fuel can only be filled half up. It got 100l tanks, but only 50 can be used.

Even though it has a Rotax 912, MTOW of 640, it still is a one man plane when it comes to longer distance cross country, even worse so than some ULs.

The market decides I guess. More bling sell better than more pay load obviously. So much that the increase in MTOW means nothing.

There should also be a max empty weight, or a minimum pay load.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s becoming a mess, as expected.

France only allows a max of 525kgs for microlights. Hence, they have delcared that other’s countries’ microlights with higher MTOW will not be allowed to enter under the concession that foreign microlights don’t need authorisation. So, any flights with say a German-registered 600kg ultralight will in the future require a separate permission in order to enter France.

https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/aeronefs-etrangers#e3

Quote: ATTENTION : les limites de masse maximum de la règlementation ULM ne sont pas aussi élevées que celles applicables dans certains autres pays européens : les ULM de ces pays ne peuvent donc pas survoler le territoire français sans obtenir préalablement un laissez-passer. unquote

Not so much of a big deal though, as there will be rather few 600kg ultralights in Germany… most of them will cost >200k which very few ultralight pilots will shell out. So, most of the ultralight pilots will stick to their old and depreciated 472.5 kg ultralights and just fly overweight, as they are doing today.

And those who DO fly 600kg microlights will not know about this requirement and will just fly to France without. And, from experience, I think it is safe to say that there will be no enforcement of this in France, so all will just continue without much hassle. Welcome to reality.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Jul 14:58
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@bosmantico This is why I started the thread on gyrocopter.

France

LeSving wrote:

The market decides I guess. More bling sell better than more pay load obviously. So much that the increase in MTOW means nothing.

There should also be a max empty weight, or a minimum pay load.

In Germany there is a max empty weight limit as well – but it doesn’t help against the general trend we have also seen with the old weight limit: Manufacturers (so really buyers as the OEMs do what buyers pay for) are packing their designs with features so that useful load becomes minimal and everyone would complain that they are coerced by the regulator to fly overweight because the weight limit is so impractical We will have Groundhog Day in 5 hearts from now I bet …

There was, however, one sobering effect of the increase in MTOW in the German market: Before that every other UL-Pilot claimed that the weight limit is purely government repression as the design can surely support much more then the former 475,5kg. Therefore they liked to believe that flying overweight is merely a regulatory paperwork question and has nothing to do with safety.
No all of these pilots have to realize how difficult it seems to be to have an existing design certified for the 600kg and that almost no manufacturer is able to do this w/o design change (she of them as massive as changing the main spar.

Germany

In Germany there is a max empty weight limit as well – but it doesn’t help against the general trend we have also seen with the old weight limit: Manufacturers (so really buyers as the OEMs do what buyers pay for) are packing their designs with features so that useful load becomes minimal and everyone would complain that they are coerced by the regulator to fly overweight because the weight limit is so impractical

Maybe I have mixed-up the data, but I believe the new regulation requires to have 200kg (?) useful load with fuel for min 1h flight time, so that there is a (kind of) natural limit for adding gimmicks & options.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Yes, it does not seem a walk in the park for various designs to certify to 600 kg. For some designs it seems easy, especially those that are marketed in countries where they have already been permitted to 600 kg under local rules (Light Sport in the USA for instance). There is no need to achieve exactly 600 kg MTOM. Anywhere between 450 kg (472,5 with chute) and 600 kg can be aimed for. I believe some manufacturers are even certifying different weights in that range with varying design mods and costs to the owner.

Apart from the max Empty Weight there are also other criteria to be met, notably max stall speed, sound level and take-off distances.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I recall this was more or less forecast by those concerned about the increase beyond 450kg…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message