Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Panel, comments

I think this comes down to your attitude to risk; specifically whether you adopt the traditional “VFR only aircraft” position that entering IMC means death, and that is acceptable.

I don’t think it is acceptable and any plane I would buy or build has to be capable of flying in IMC and of doing so safely – simply because IMC is “out there” and no matter what you do, one day you will find yourself in it. Well, that’s unless you resign yourself to some almost completely useless despatch rate.

An if you want IFR capability then you are looking at long periods potentially in IMC (especially if you don’t have an IR so can’t get good CAS access ) and then you need two independent horizons.

I am surprised a turn coordinator is a requirement in Europe. It isn’t in the USA and lots of people have fitted two AIs, one of them in place of the TC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think this comes down to your attitude to risk; specifically whether you adopt the traditional “VFR only aircraft” position that entering IMC means death, and that is acceptable.

Not with an EFIS !!! As explained, with an EFIS you get full IFR capability. You only need an extra altimeter, but that is covered with two EFISes or whatever other gadget you want, a G5 for instance. My little Onex will be (according to the regulations) fully IFR capable, at least NVFR capable without me having to do anything. To actually fly IFR I also need avionics, so it is out of the question.

An EFIS will give you enough instrument to fly whatever you want to fly. The iEFIS also has full synthetic vision with hires 3D map. I don’t think IMC means sudden death by any means. The gyros are there as some kind of backup for me, just in case, but there is no need to back up the backup so to speak.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

I am surprised a turn coordinator is a requirement in Europe.

It isn’t. You can substitute it for a second AI as well.

LSZK, Switzerland

Was tipped about GRT Avionics. They have lots of EFIS’es for the experimental market, and seems to be more popular than Garmin in the US.

Here is a snippet from their site:

At first glance, it may seem like overkill to install a sophisticated electronic display into a home-built airplane or LSA. You might be saying, “Why do I need all that stuff?” The answer is easy. Instead of a complex system of heavy and expensive analog instruments clustered in your panel, you can cut down on weight, installation time, and even cost by going electronic.

Traditional analog engine instruments require you to actively scan them to spot problems. The GRT Engine Information System will alert you to potential problems early with flashing yellow or red indicators inside your field of vision on the EFIS flight display. The EFIS Engine page shows a large graphical display of all engine and environmental data, including a handy EGT/CHT line graph that shows your temperature trends over time– very useful for troubleshooting a rough engine.

With a traditional “six pack” instrument scan in the clouds, your brain must constantly synthesize many different pieces of data to assemble a picture of your attitude in space. In contrast, the “glass panel” overlays airspeed and altitude tapes, nav & heading information, and rate of turn over top of a full-screen attitude indicator. The attitude portion of the scan fades into your periphery, similar to looking out the window– which allows more brain power for other tasks and reduces fatigue. Features like GPS moving map, Synthetic Vision 3D terrain, traffic alerts, and airborne weather will give you a sense of situational awareness you’ve never experienced in an airplane with round dials–even under VFR.
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

tomjnx wrote:

Peter wrote:
I am surprised a turn coordinator is a requirement in Europe.
It isn’t. You can substitute it for a second AI as well.

It probably isn’t, haven’t checked. It’s just that for experimental aircraft (all Annex II in fact), part NCO is not applicable, we have to use the old national regulations. I would think you can equip the aircraft according to Part NCO as well, without the CAA arguing about that (which would be a very strange thing for them to do), but you don’t have to.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The turn and slip indicator is, however, the only instrument to be trusted in a spin … so I personally would keep one.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

The turn and slip indicator is, however, the only instrument to be trusted in a spin … so I personally would keep one.

How many aircraft have turn&slip nowadays? Most I’ve seen have a TC. Which is fine for an upright spin.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Finally ordered all the gadgets. This is what the panel will look like (somewhat approximated):

It is an MGL iEFIS Explorer (8.5 inch screen). It has AHRS built in and an external magnetometer and RDAC for the engine. All communication is CAN bus. Radio and transponder are from Trig (TT21 and Ty91). All in all a basic standard non-certified setup. Also include the MGL Infinity ASX-1 (alt and ASI). The MGL EFIS use map data from EasyVFR, updated all the time, and has of course full navigation capabilities, so there will be no real need for the phablet, but, as a backup and various other things I guess it won’t hurt, and could be useful. On the picture is the aerobatics “page” I made on the MGL simuator/editor. Looks cool IMO, but only by trying it out I will see if it useful (fun to edit anyway, so it will probably be modded a lot )

Norway is pretty much a desert when it comes to aviation equipment related shops. What I did not expect however, was that UK is starting to sail up as the place to purchase stuff for non-certified aircraft. I have ordered everything from the UK. Best prices, best shipping options, best “packet” discounts, and generally just looks to be up to date and in sync with what people wants. I have ordered a few things from the UK earlier also. I have used ACS a lot, but have to reconsider this because they are clueless about shipping, as everybody in the US has become during the last 10 years.

It will be fun to see how it all turns out in the end.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Looks good. Minor point, but have you centred the EFIS relative to the screen rather than the bezel? I can see why you would do this for the optimal sight line, but it gives the effect of the overall instrument not looking centred. I notice that MGL EFIS doesn’t have an equal width bezel left versus right, because of the buttons.

Might be of interest – the panel on our Eurofox, with dual MGL XTreme EFIS/EMIS. We ditched the remote compass, as there was no chance of achieving accurate readings in our chrome molybdendum airframe (might have functioned with the remote sensor on the wingtip, but strobes would have interfered). We wanted a conventional 6-pack instrument display, and the EFIS gave us the AH for both P1 and P2. Funkwerk VHF and T’pdr., and PM100II intercom; Mingda turn coordinator and DI.

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 07 May 21:03
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya
Sign in to add your message