Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France Homebuilt (looking for advice)

BTW – I would certainly consider a D-reg, but that is impossible to achieve for finished imported foreign Experimentals. Again – logical, to then issue a general entry permission for those in the AIP….

OTOH the Dutch are hard to beat anyway regarding the way they handle those aircraft with common sense (which in turn is very rare, especially in GA-administration).

Last Edited by europaxs at 02 Jun 07:45
EDLE

Common sense on the part of the authorities is extremely rare in anything to do with GA in The Netherlands

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

That’s not the case in my experience with my Experimental (for example they issue a noise certificate simply on the basis of an identical plane already flying – mind you a non certified). Can’t tell about the certified, but I have heard that G-reg is preferred in NL.

EDLE

Thanks a lot for your help guys, really appreciate it.
I was stressing pretty bad before having your input :)

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Common sense on the part of the authorities is extremely rare in anything to do with GA in The Netherlands

We all speak as we find of course and for my part I have to say the Dutch authorities have been spot on. One of my aircraft is on the Dutch register and is so easy to get a straight forward answer if there is anything one is unsure about. I put it on the register about 7 years ago and have no complaints at all.

UK, United Kingdom

europaxs wrote:

That’s not the case in my experience with my Experimental (for example they issue a noise certificate simply on the basis of an identical plane already flying – mind you a non certified). Can’t tell about the certified, but I have heard that G-reg is preferred in NL.

Interestingly one of the clubs here at Lelystad has just had an audit by the Dutch CAA and have been informed that it is not acceptable to fly an aircraft with 2 radios unless both are 8,33 or both 25. How is that for common sense=

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I was reading the ‘happy 5th birthday’ thread and wondered when my first post was, so I looked and this was it.

Then I realized I never told you guys the rest of the story…

I went back, and discovered a number of construction ‘flaws’ and that the airframe had been completed in 2003, but the certification wasn’t finalized until 2015. Which meant that everything had been sitting for quite some time.

Plus, the plane flew like a wounded duck. Everytime I let go of the sidestick, the plane would dive and roll left. Hard.
On one landing, as I was coming in, a sudden downdraft caught us by surprise, and I was pulling back quite hard on the stick, when it suddenly came off in my hand…
So, there I was, staring at the sidestick for a second wondering what dimension I was in…
Common sense snapped me back to reality, so I planted the grip back on the post and landed the thing.

That, amongst other things made me back out of the deal. (yeah, he didn’t want me to, but I was pretty honest, which helped)
As a consolation, I left the ELT with the guy for his trouble.

Whole experience cost me a couple grand, but I learned a lot from it.

I bought a Mooney not long after.
I’m still working on the finalization of registration due to travel, ignorance and silly bureaucracy. (man that word is tough to spell out)

I just keep running the engine up as often as I can to make sure all systems are go-flight, and am very close to the final inspection which will let me fly where I like.

Thank you all so very much for your wisdom, expertise, experience and helpful input.
It is incredible to have such a community to draw from.

@AF I have recently come across this French site which is relevant for homebuilts based in France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting @Peter , I’d seen something like that in the past when I was looking to buy the Rutan design, but the requirement to keep it registered in France was to maintain a French mailing address, which I didn’t care to do.

Now that I’ve been in the game for a little bit over here, I know that the rules are simple:
1. Pay too much
2. Pay again
3. Pay for paying too much

After that, it’s all easy!

59 Posts
Sign in to add your message