Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lancair assets for sale (except Evolution)

They deny they went bust, which is quite interesting when you read the above link Well, they probably didn’t actually go into administration.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interestingly the Evolution seems to be continuing as well…

https://www.flyingmag.com/evolution-aircraft-streamlines-business/

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I wonder how the Lancair “brand” continues given that Lancair have gone bust, the Evolution spinoff also went bust, and now a professional Lancair kit builder is doing the LX7 (that article is from 2016).

Presumably, and especially in the US, it is not difficult to keep these planes going indefinitely, with a combination of non Lancair made parts, and fabricated parts.

Administrator

I think the biggest issue with these old Lancairs is that they represent an enormous potential liability (no matter what paperwork is produced).

The designs are plain and simple deadly because they lack the most basic aerodynamic safety nets. The exact opposite of an RV or a DA40 in the certified world.
The IV and the 360 are probably the worst and I suspect that this fear is motivating present owners of the company to want to divest this part of the business (ironically – their Legacy).

The Legacy’s wings have been recently modified after the FAA gave Lancair a big warning.

But there are a few dozen out there which may or may not be modified and what happens if Mr Buildaplane crashes and Mrs Buildaplane’s layer comes knocking on the door?

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

For the US market, nobody is interested in Rotax or diesel.

Rotax is one of the best selling aircraft engines (if not the best), also in the US. It’s PC or something to pretend not being interested in Rotax over there, but even VanGrunsven use it on the RV-12. Lately, also the most stubborn of all, John Monnet, has thrown in the towel and is offering the new B models with an option to use the Rotax 912. In fact, the B models were designed to use “all” available engines, not just AeroVee or Jabiru. The B models have taken over for the older models this summer.

Diesel is another story. Still, the only non certified aircraft/kit manufacturer to offer a diesel is Glasair, in their highly successful Sportsman/Glastar.

Peter wrote:

Isn’t that true for all homebuilts? If you are looking at say 3000 hrs to build one, it’s obvious that many won’t finish. I’ve heard of 10 years to 30 years to complete a kit.

No. It depends on the kit. I would guess percentage completed is very much inverse proportional to the man hours required to build. More man hours doesn’t only equate to more work (hours), but it also equates to more complex and “unducomented” work, it’s much more difficult. Early Lancairs are a whole lot of work, and today, with quick built RVs, Carbon Cubs that take a couple of hundred hours to build, or Glasairs that can be built in two weeks, staring up production of kits that require 3-4k hours, is not a particularly easy or vise thing to do.

The RV-3 is the most difficult RV. At any moment you stand a chance of building yourself into a corner. When that happen, you have to do over anything from 1 to 500 hours or more. It can set you back months or years. How many such set backs can you have before you are too old, or give up? Things like that are gone in later kits.

Last Edited by LeSving at 06 Nov 11:23
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

One interesting bit is they claim 2000 customers. Socata have about the same but according to what I heard they were asking about 10x more for their TB business, most of which was the value of the spare parts operation. But then Socata owners are compelled by the certification/maintenance-company system to buy mostly Socata parts.

There are lots of Lancairs around, and 5-10 x as many are laying around in basements and garages in various stages of completion.

Isn’t that true for all homebuilts? If you are looking at say 3000 hrs to build one, it’s obvious that many won’t finish. I’ve heard of 10 years to 30 years to complete a kit.

unless the basic design is upgraded to 100% carbon, new engines (diesel and ULPower, possibly also a turbo Rotax version).

For the US market, nobody is interested in Rotax or diesel. And the European market is squeezed by the residence/overflight regulations.

Administrator

Michael wrote:

They were replaced by the Legacy quite some time ago .

I really can’t see it’s worth anything, unless the basic design is upgraded to 100% carbon, new engines (diesel and ULPower, possibly also a turbo Rotax version). Then it’s effectively a completely new design. I guess somebody eventually will purchase it though, but US$650k for a couple of molds that anyone with a minimal of knowledge in fiber glas can make ? There are lots of Lancairs around, and 5-10 x as many are laying around in basements and garages in various stages of completion.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

“Millions of dollars of inventory” offered for $695k?

I reckon their inventory is nearly all dead (non moving) stock, to be selling it at this price. OTOH they claim $650k a year sales, so why not just sit for a year and you have got your $600k or so and still have the business? Maybe the stuff they are selling they have to make or buy in, and all the rest is dead stock.

I know a guy who bought a practically dead US business (a one man operation) and got a green card that way, and now he is back in Europe. I don’t know why he did it but definitely he didn’t create 10 jobs.

Administrator

It seems they’re still looking for a buyer: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=217bb603-be49-4811-8c42-896d8707f320

I don’t know if the original offer already included their asking price of 650,000 US-$, but on the first sight it looks like a bargain. Well it depends, even 1 $ can be expensive if the business has no future. I heard that if you invest 1 million $ and create 10 jobs in the US, you get a green card. Maybe some home builder has always wanted to emigrate…?

Peter wrote:

Are Lancair 320/360 kits no longer available?

Does anyone know what the kit comprised of?

They were replaced by the Legacy quite some time ago .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message