Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Starfighter in the air again

10 Posts

This Thursday was the first flight of LN-STF, a CF-104D that last flew in 1983. It has been restored to flight condition during the last 13 years.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Great stuff ! Will it keep flying or was that a one-off?

The intention seems to be to fly it at airshows. Great to see!

ESSZ, Sweden

Apparently they have a very distinctive sound when flying (I’ve never seen one actually fly), unlike most jets that just make the same old racket.

Andreas IOM

I have asked Roskilde Airshow to invite it down her for the event in August 2017 – www.airshow.dk. (They might have thought of it even without my note.)
Regrettably, it will in all probability not be able to operate from Roskilde with only 1799 m rwy available. Bodø, where it flew the other day, has around 2800 m. (By the way, wasn’t Bodø where an SR-71A had an unsceduled engine change once, with a brigade of support crew and equipment coming over from USAF?)

Distinctive sound ? I heard and saw F-104 frequently as a boy, but do not recall the sound. Maybe I can have my memories reactivated.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

As a boy at the Prestwick Airshow, the Royal Canadian Air Force sent a contingent of them. They always put on a stellar show. Here

One of my favourite sounding jet fighters. Unmissable, and unmistakeable…

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Fantastic that they pulled this off.

As to the sound, I have a trauma from the starfighter… As as kid I went to the demo days of the Netherlands AF when they were still flying. Yep, I’m that old..
They once did a great trick. The speaker would announce that straight in front of the audience 3 of them would fly really low straight towards the public (the good old days), so we better carefully watch the horizon and cover our ears once in sight. So everyone was straining their eyes in anticipation. Then suddenly these b.stards ran us over from behind. Must have been 200 ft, on afterburner. I don’t think I was the only one with wet pants.

Also the NAF used the loudness of the Starfighter once to end the hostage taking of a train. At daybreak they shook the hell out of that train and seconds later armed ground forces took over.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

172driver wrote:

Great stuff ! Will it keep flying or was that a one-off?

It will keep flying. It needs to be flown a few hours before it receives a c of a and can be used for shows etc. They think it will fly only in Norway for a year or so before going other places. That flight was in fact the first time any starfighter flew in Norwegian airspace for 33 years. The pilot had never flown a starfighter before, but he is a test pilot in the air force.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I was lucky to fly with an ex AF Starfighter pilot, naturally his GA aircraft was an SF260D.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

I was lucky to fly with an ex AF Starfighter pilot, naturally his GA aircraft was an SF260D.

In 2000, I was participating at the East Fortune Airshow, with my Chipmunk. The German Air Force sent two F4 Phantoms. The crews asked could they fly with me in my Chipmunk. I duly took them flying. Their control inputs were interesting. I tried to reciprocate, and an offer remained if I went to Germany to visit their base. I really wanted an F4 jaunt…….I am sure they were humouring me, but they said they would rather fly the Chipmunk anyday

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message