Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lancair Legacy

RobertL18C wrote:

I saw three or four SX-300 going out for some evening formation flying, so around 10% of the active fleet seem to live at Spruce Creek.

I’m supposed to visit a guy I know at Spruce Creek in late November. I’ll ask him, I’ve never been there. The SX-300 does appear to be a kind of ‘ultimate’ in terms of personal performance planes.

I don’t understand, why the Legacy should be limited <18k ft due to airspace, because it can fly IFR in the US anyway.

EDLE

Peter wrote:

requirement for masks for any installed oxygen system

Nothing I can see in the FARs after quick check, unless that’s buried somewhere deeper.

I have some refs here where the word “fitted” is referred to.

I think you will find the AFMS for each fitted system mandates a mask above 18k – or something like that.

But I still think this is not where the 18k ceiling of a good number of certified planes comes from. SR22?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SR22 has a ceiling of FL250.

Some procedures change from 17’000 ft and above, e.g. Vne lowers, and you may not reduce MP below 18.5 in (or so, this is from memory).

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 15 Oct 21:59

Peter wrote:

But it may be possible to go VFR above that I think we did that recently… no enroute VFR allowed in the FL200+ Class C AFAIK, unless this has recently changed. For sure you can do VFR above FL600 which is Class G.

Well, according to both the International Rules of the Air and SERA you need special authorisation for VFR from FL200 up, regardless of airspace class. Enroute or not doesn’t matter. So you can’t just cancel IFR when flying above FL600.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

SR22 has a ceiling of FL250

Only the turbo one. NA is FL175 according to one owner

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s an experimental. There is no limit in MTOW or ceiling or Vne, unless the builder set it. Depending on how well you build, you may not even reach the “stated” Vne due to a multitude of reasons (flutter usually). Ceiling is whatever alt you actually have tested your airplane at.

Besides, the F-1 rocket or the Harmon rocket are much better plane in all respects IMO. RV’s on steroids.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving the Harmon link doesn’t appear to work – how many F-1s have been built? Simple, 200 KTAS+, aerobatic – looks very attractive. The Vs of 54 mph seems perhaps sourced from the marketing department.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

On the subject of high performance experimentals….

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message