Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RV-4s for $40K

You can import easily, but eg the UK has a 28 day limit on being based there.

Multiple threads here on this but basically most homebuilts in Europe are domestic reg, or are eventually illegal. 6 months is the usual time for EU reg ones based in another EU country. Germany allows 180 days IIRC for N regs and you can re-apply.

In most cases this is addressed by flying below the radar… so to speak. Significant financial risk… also reselling options are limited.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

I am told importing an Experimental from the USA is not impossible.

Depends where you live. No problem importing them to Norway. You have to put them on LN reg, which is just fine here, since they get a CofA.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

RobertL18C wrote:

Nice pirep hereā€¦

Thanks for that, it makes me want to have one!

Silvaire and here is an operating handbook…

http://www.caa.co.za/Documents/Airworthiness/Pilot%20Operating%20Handbook%20RV%204%20Example.pdf

Getting a nicely built one over here is quite tempting, although there may be some that come up for sale already on the G reg.

The article suggests that the main demographic are building them as retirement projects, and then a few years later are hanging up their headsets, hence a buyers’ market.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Not that I’m in the market but one concern I would have about importing a homebuilt from the USA is whether or not there had been any internal corrosion protection applied to the airframe as it was built. Based entirely on photos in magazines and on-line it seems that some aluminium homebuilt experimentals have none. That wouldn’t be appropriate for a maritime climate such as we have in Britain.

Last Edited by ChuckGlider at 30 Oct 20:49

Be careful to check what the LAA will require before they would issue a permit. They might require access to parts requiring removing rivetted bits. At least one RV has been imported, but I think a part built import had to be restarted from scratch. See old LAA magazines.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes, and I am sure Norway is not going to accept an N reg uncertified import at face value either.

France for example requires any non F reg to be 51% to be dismantled before going on the F reg, and some types (see recent thread eg Lancairs) are apparently not possible at all anymore.

It is easier to say nothing but that would just lead some buyers to waste 5 figures.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes, and I am sure Norway is not going to accept an N reg uncertified import at face value either.

The same regulations applies for import as for local built, in general. The local EAA chapter has put out a check list for how this process goes. The main thing is to have a build log. This is not a normal thing to do in the US, but detailed pictures taken during the build will also do. Then to get it on LN reg and a CofA, LT comes and does an inspection the usual way. You may have to write a new POH according to the “check list”, because ant pilot shall be able to fly the plane just by reading the book

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

$40K can get you a decent basic RV-4. I’m on my third and paid around that price for my current one.
The kits are still available, though they remain non match-hole panels, so need much more careful alignment for match drilling the rivet holes adding several hundred hours to the build time.
Vans’ recommend a MTOW of 1500lb, the UK authorise 1550lb and most are test flown in the US to 1600lb-ish. Empty weights are typically 950 to 1050.
I can take a 105kg passenger, full fuel and no luggage without busting CG or 1600lb and it flies well at that, but for aerobatics it is essentially solo only.

My first one, I imported a US built one from Sweden to the UK. It took about 5 months of to-and-fro with the (then) PFA before it had a permit. The other two I’ve bought while working in the US for low $40K + prices.

If you want to go that route, it’s essential to find one built with little or no deviation from plans.

To ferry one back from the US to the UK, I’d want about a 20-30 USG ferry tank in addition to the standard 32 USG tanks.

UK reg’d examples do come on the market a few times a year typically and may be a better option with the current sterling exchange rate by the time you’ve added ferrying costs, VAT etc.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
Sign in to add your message