Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RV-4s for $40K

If anybody is thinking of building an RV-4 or is going to buy one already built, it might be a good idea to have sight of the build manual, to see how the aircraft is put together.
I happen to have one for sale.

Call me…07979-230059

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Is there a reason why the RV4 is a lot cheaper than an RV6 or 7? I recall somebody looking at these a couple of years ago and all for sale were €80k plus.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The CNC matched hole construction of the later RVs is certainly a neat technology which does a lot to ensure quality regardless of builder skill.

I think the difference in market value between the RV-4 and e.g. RV-8 (which is a larger re-pop of the same tandem seating concept) includes that kit technology and content issue, plus greater interior space of the later planes, generally bigger engine and more often constant speed prop, plus generally better equipped panels. The RV-4 is more of pure sport plane, the later planes (particularly -7 and -8) are perceived by the market to add quality and utility.

I know of a really nice US RV-7 that could be bought for I’d guess $72K so to me that places the value at 1.66 times that of a nice RV-4.

I’ll be interested to see how the market reacts to used RV-14s. Those offer still more room, but with (again) higher power for the same speed.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 31 Oct 20:02

I guess the market decides the price and typically RVs go for 5-10% below the asking price.

The -4 falls into a bit of a niche being tailwheel and tandem; and the cockpit size, weight and CG limits don’t work for a lot of people.

If you want to know how much performance can be squeezed out of one have a look at Dave Anders’ record setting RV-4.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message