Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DIY BRS

I just discovered there is at least another front-end BRS installation in an RV7, like mine (which I believe was the first ever). I took these pics myself yesterday in a maintenance shop:

Last Edited by mancival at 23 Jun 09:14
United Kingdom

europaxs wrote:

I wear a parachute in my Europa. I agree with LeSwing, that psycologically it might be a bigger overcoming to jump than “just” pulling the red handle.

mh wrote:

There have been some fatalities where the pilot could have used a BRS, btu didn’t

I know 3 guys who successfully bailed out from mid-air in gliders, all did not even think about it, jumped and open the parachute (they never had any jump before), two of them reported that the trickiest part was to jettison the canopy: after releasing the red handle, they were stuck for a long time waiting for it to just disappear, they find out later “by luck” that a light touch by hands does blow it away !

For mid-air collisions, the bang and loss of control should be enough to kick you out without even thinking

On other grey scenarios, like fuel starvation/partial engine failure you may have some time to think and act, as you will try an look for other alternatives your precious option is losing its value…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

europaxs wrote:

I agree with LeSwing, that psycologically it might be a bigger overcoming to jump than “just” pulling the red handle.

OTOH you have reminded yourself before takeoff, that you have a parachute. There have been some fatalities where the pilot could have used a BRS, btu didn’t. This was probably due to the reason, that the BRS wasn’t present in the minds of the pilot during the emergency. That is different, if you put on a parachute before flight.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I wear a parachute in my Europa. I agree with LeSwing, that psycologically it might be a bigger overcoming to jump than “just” pulling the red handle. OTOH, if you get out (I evaluated this chance for my type of aircraft as good due to the gullwing doors) it’s more or less guaranteed, that the chute opens, provided that you are sufficiently high above the ground (which is about 100 metres for my chutes). You don’t have to think of anything else after bailing out, since my chutes open automatically after seperation from the plane (ripchord attached to the airframe).

There are scenarios where you might be even better off with a conventional parachute on your back (e.g. when the aircraft is on fire especially at high altitude or when the airframe at the point of the BRS container or cables is severely damaged after a midair…)

However I’d also go for a proven BRS system, would it be available for my plane. Especially the chances for passengers is probably higher, since they are not able to prepare themselves mentally for the situation that hopefully never occures…

I was once in a situation where I was prepared to use the chute, but finally managed to save also the plane

EDLE

“The plane will take most of the hits, it will protect you.”

If BRS preserve aircraft structural integrity then I agree it still worth a try even with low sucess rates, this is completly different from pulling an ejection seat or self ejection/bailout that involve more failure points and literally leaves you to your own…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Nice!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy 02-Feb-19 21:30 56
Seat heat, nice. Is the red guarded switch for go around? What does it do?Is the red guarded switch for go around? What does it do?

Is just a TO/GA (take-off/go-around) button like in any Cirrus produced after 2008. I only use it for Go Around in marginal-VMC AP-coupled approaches (never used for take off). Like in a Cirrus, you pushes it when you don’t see the runway below the minima and it: 1) straightens the wings + 2) pitches up 5 degrees + 3) unsuspends the GPS flightplan (and switches back the HSI source from ILS to GPS if you are doing an ILS). All you need to do is manage power and flaps, which helps in a stressful situation like a real IMC GoAround. Since it makes quite a few automated actions, I preferred to put a guard on it to avoid accidental pressing in other phases of flight.

United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

In gliding, mid air collisions or structural failures are the elephant in the room, some wear parachutes for that

It’s the same with aerobatics (structural failures, not mid air ) Parachutes have saved many a glider and aerobatic pilot, but compared with BRS it is very slow and is a big and complicated procedure that has to be remembered automatically. It’s not always easy or possible to get out in time and pull the chute. Just a couple of years ago a young man perished here. He was (eventually) found few meters from the glider, his parachute deployed, but a couple of seconds too late. A BRS would most probably have saved him. A BRS is much faster and easier to launch, both practically and psychologically. It also offers one additional plus. When you hit the ground you are strapped inside the plane. The plane will take most of the hits, it will protect you.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Seat heat, nice. Is the red guarded switch for go around? What does it do?

always learning
LO__, Austria

@mancival can you post more detailed pictures?

United Kingdom
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message