Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RV-10 - First two days of flying

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So 24 year old engines with run time left will not be tolerated in any homebuilt without massive maintenance action (tear down cylinders).

This makes no sense. Surely homebuilders in Switzerland can build their own engines also, and to start with an old certified one is usually the best choice.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

RobertL18C wrote:

With this silly rule (24 years in parts of Europe) there must be a steady supply of good engines which a home builder might want – and the seller could then use the proceeds to buy a new one from Lycoming?

Actually, while the ELA1 crowd of certified airplanes is now exempt from this due to the EASA mandate, the 24 year rule is quite strictly enforced for everyone else, at least in Switzerland. So 24 year old engines with run time left will not be tolerated in any homebuilt without massive maintenance action (tear down cylinders).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

No, a P2002 Sierra Retractable.
130 knots all day every day, 20 litres mogas per hour

EGKL, United Kingdom

carlmeek wrote:

from the 130 knot Tecnam I had before

130 knot Tecnam?
P2006 twin, I suppose.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

RobertL18C wrote:

is there a market in the Vans community for a good Lycoming -320 which is mid time, but outside the 12 year OH period?

A new engine is very expensive, so a mid-time certified configuration O-320 is in demand anywhere for use in homebuilts like the Vans RV-4 or RV-9A. Some builders would top overhaul the engine before use, which isn’t terribly expensive, just so they could take a look at the internals and perhaps convert the engine to a specific desired configuration. Value is a sliding scale depending on configuration: those O-320 versions with the less robust 4-piece front main bearing are somewhat less in demand because they aren’t really suitable for use with higher compression ratio 160 HP pistons/cylinders. The most value would be for a 2-piece front main bearing O-320 with a non-pitted hollow crankshaft and etc, useable with a hydraulic CS propeller. If its mid-time and hasn’t been previously overhauled, that generally increases value relative to an engine that’s been overhauled once or twice before.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Dec 18:51

That’s a good question – one I could not really speak Authoritatively about, as I chose to buy a brand new one from Vans. A recent article in the LAA magazine of another RV-10 owner bought an older engine, then realised how much it would cost to “fix up” – sold it on and bought a new one.

My guess is that there’s a market, but I would imagine it needs to be sensibly priced.

One other comment – I think a O-360 is likely to be a more common fitment, but i’m no expert.

EGKL, United Kingdom

Carl is there a market in the Vans community for a good Lycoming -320 which is mid time, but outside the 12 year OH period?

With this silly rule (24 years in parts of Europe) there must be a steady supply of good engines which a home builder might want – and the seller could then use the proceeds to buy a new one from Lycoming?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

On first impressions, the handling does come across as ‘staid’ as you put it – but this is because Vans deliberately engineered stability into the aircraft to make it a true tourer – it was never designed to be aerobatic. This means it takes a reasonable stick force to induce roll/pitch. However, after a few hours of getting used to it, it’s actually very chuckable – the roll rate is crisp, and you can really chuck it about. When cruising at 150kt, it requires no rudder, and flies completely hands off, even in an established 30 degree roll. Reducing speed to (say) 110, and the stick forces are much lighter, and it just loves to dance.

Flying to le touquet, i nearly didn’t bother activating autopilot – it was just rock solid stable and hands off. The only reason i pressed the A/P button was to stop it slowly wandering off altitude whilst i enjoyed the view!

As we all know, there’s no such thing as a perfect aeroplane, and every positive has an equal negative. The RV-10 is very clear on the mission it undertakes – it’s a four seater tourer with some serious weight carrying capability. The single reason I bought it was it’s short strip capability – for this reason virtually all fast (140kt+) GA tourers rule themselves out (and I didn’t want a Cessna!). So for me – it appears to be the perfect machine, and one i will happily entrust the safety of my family onto.

EGKL, United Kingdom

When I was based at Denham one of my hanger co-inhabitants had a very nice RV10. I had a couple of short trips in that and was very impressed,, although the handling is a little on the “staid” side compared to the Falco, I would still be happy to own one. Congratulation Carl.

Forever learning
EGTB

Congratulations Carl. It looks very nice and also it seems it’s the perfect touring aircraft for your situation. A singificantly lighter, self-built, experimental SR22 thing. Wish you fantastic and safe flights with it.

Also, I quite liked Deanland when I visited two years ago. Short, but well kept and a lot of enthusiasts there, it seems.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message