Welcome to our forums

Brand new Skycatchers scrapped

I suggest a search on

Skycatcher

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Archie wrote:

So what exactly caused the demise?

All in all a lesser performing and less practical aircraft than the C-150/152. It cannot even start to compare with LSAs from Europe. That, and the fact that the LSA marked turned out to be only a renaissance for the Cub in various incarnations, instead of a blooming market like the microlight market in Europe. The only good thing about it is a very well built airframe of high quality (almost over engineered), but it was built in China, thus very politically in-correct for US customers. A simpler/lighter built airframe made of carbon composites and a Rotax engine, and it would sell much better, and perform much better in all respects.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Having two prototypes crash and an MSB to deal with cracked wing attachments probably didn’t help sales, either

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

After a year’s storage there is a mandatory return to Lyco for an overhaul

I am not so sure on this? I do know for example with Bendix mangeto’s which need 4 year overhaul, have a shelflife of 1 year, before the 4 year starts counting.
So you can have a Bendix Mangeto on stock for 3 years, and then install it. This will result in 2 years usefull time before you need to overhaul.

I think it works with Lycoming as well. Correct storage for longer then one year is possible, but after one year, the 12 years starts counting, installed or not.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message