Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Beautiful Lancair IV-P for sale in France - IFR ?

but they can be dead-sticked succesfully
Accident Landcair IV-P SE-XRU

EGTR

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It certainly is not an airplane for the novice or average pilot.

It is not a plane for people without experience in something similar. That certainly includes me, when I flew a friend’s Lancair IV for 30 minutes in the right seat I was so far behind the thing I wasn’t even in the same airplane. The TB 30 under the same ownership felt to me like a C150 in comparison (I could be flying the TB 30 solo with a little study and a couple of hours dual). However the owner has lots of experience in high powered, high wing loaded piston aircraft, Reno racers etc and accordingly had no trouble with it. He flew the Lancair IV home from initial purchase with essentially no check out and has had no issues since. I’d have been dead in the first few minutes.

The thing that struck me the most from my position of naïveté is that it needs lots of speed to perform (i.e. to climb), acceleration is not instantaneous, and speed means space. After takeoff you are on high downwind before it really gets going, lots of space already used, and landing is the same in reverse. All the controls felt quite heavy to me (to match a fast cruiser) and I’m not an admirer of the side stick. All of that being the initial impression of somebody not qualified to fly the thing.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Sep 14:55

mmgreve wrote:

but they can be dead-sticked succesfully
Accident Landcair IV-P SE-XRU

Seems also the case of a pilot who positively picked his runway rather than the opposite !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Everybody says that it is limited experimental in EU, but meanwhile so many are flying around the Europe especially RVs. I am bit confused where is problem, as i know only issue is You have to get approval from each country once a year.

I would like to talk with some Lancair owner in EU and see what are limitation. Please send me PM with contact details.

Last Edited by EVRA at 27 Sep 08:01
Latvia

There are various threads on homebuilt privileges within Europe. The main one is here and in there you will find the tables of which countries ask for what, and the contact details.

The “once a year” varies.

Also many “fly anyway” so it is not possible to draw complete conclusions from what you see

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EVRA wrote:

I am bit confused where is problem

There is no real problems, except bureaucracy is slow many places, and some pilots are more bureaucratic than the bureaucrats themselves. It’s basically a thing of result-oriented vs process oriented, and a certain breed of pilots are firmly in the latter category. It’s also a bit of “this works for me, therefore everyone not doing like me are morons”. Some odd variant of fanboy-ism perhaps ?

I’m joking a tiny bit here, but my experience after being in the game for 30+ years is that us GA pilots, we are our own worst enemy, and due to a stack of different reasons. The main reason is lack of focus on the thing that really matter, main thing being simply to have fun. Have fun in the air, and fun on the ground with other fellow pilots.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message