Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Logging Time in a PtF aircraft.

10 Posts

Hi All,

Am I able to log flight time as PUT in a permit aircraft (which I have no ownership of) if I’m flying with the owner who is an FI?

Thanks
Callum

London Area

You sure can – for example, it can be conversion training to this very type of aircraft.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The Q is going to be: what can such time be used towards? You can write anything in your own logbook – even Easyjet flights to Greece

If there is no useful credit for the time logged, there is no point in logging it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As the owner is a FI, he should no the answer to the question! You can log any instructional time however; to be valid for use with an EASA licence it must be endorsed by the FI who gave the training AMC.FCL.050.
The ANO Art 42 also lists limitations regarding the use of Permit aircraft.

Am I able to log flight time as PUT in a permit aircraft (which I have no ownership of) if I’m flying with the owner who is an FI?

sounds like you are flying as a passenger and want to log the “flight time”, not “instruction” in which case you could only log it as a passenger.

I will be flying the aircraft on the trip! I would never log time in an aircraft that I didn’t actually get any hands on time in. It could lead to an embarrassing situation later on down the line :) The reasons for me wanting the log the time are 1. It counts towards my total time 2. Why wouldn’t I want to be able to show that I have flown that particular type of (very cool and rare) aircraft?

Thank you for your help!

Last Edited by Callum at 05 May 00:06
London Area

Are you on insurance for the aircraft? Is the instructor logging the flight as P1, and you as Pu/t? Hands on controls means nothing.
I’ve flown and landed a Piper Cub. I logged nothing. The owner, who allowed me to handle it, presumably logged it.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I assume you are talking about a g- registered LAA permit aircraft in the UK.
The LAA document summarises the dos and don’ts.
So no ab-initio training. To be legal as a crew member it needs to be insured , so you would need to be a named pilot or there is an ‘open pilot’ endorsement on the policy.
It seems quite legal for a permit aircraft owner to allow someone else to receive continuity training on their aircraft if it doesn’t involve any kind of remuneration.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Great, that’s really helpful. If the insurance policy isn’t an open policy I won’t log the time.

London Area

I’ve found that most insurance brokers (including Haywards and Visicover) will add a named pilot for little or no extra charge, so it’s worth asking.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

I’ve found that most insurance brokers (including Haywards and Visicover) will add a named pilot for little or no extra charge, so it’s worth asking.

May not even be a named pilot. I am not sure if there is any difference between PtF and CoA aircraft in that respect, but for a CoA one, Traffords included “any pilot under 65 years of age, over 150 hours logged, checked out on type, and with no accident history” in my policy at no charge.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message