Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which aircraft categories require a BRS chute to be tested?

I am told German UL are required to carry a BRS but no test is required for “certification”.

It does add a whole new dimension to the “BRS is common outside the certified world” debate…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Czech ones are also required to have a BRS. This does apply to homebuilts, too, so there is obviously no testing.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Yes, a BRS is mandatory on German ultralights. Accordingly they always have MTOW increased to 472,5 kg. They are also subject to a yearly verification (Jahresneuprüfung or JNP) by a certified workshop, but I have been told that this means little more than a pre-flight walkaround. Thus I suppose the BRS is looked at once per year, to check the validity of the label.

Slightly diverging: does one also need the BRS to be accepted (theoretically) as an “Avanzato” ultralight in Italy? I know there is (theoretically) a requirement for radio, transponder, ELT.

Last Edited by at 09 May 11:58
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

A BRS is a very simple thing to install. All the difficult parts with the chute itself, the rocket, wires and so on is taken care of by the manufacturers. All that is needed is a a couple of bolts in the airframe.

I don’t see any reason to test this, except if the touch down is critical for future use of the airframe, and similar things.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Ultranomad wrote:

Czech ones are also required to have a BRS. This does apply to homebuilts, too, so there is obviously no testing.

I’m pretty sure, that czech homebuilts are not required to carry a BRS (at least I know of some Europas registered there, which don’t have it installed).

EDLE
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message