Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hello everybody (US experimental in Europe)

It reads like you had a great adventure. Was going to Zadar due to wind an in flight diversion? That would for sure be a learning experience. Either way it sounds like you did the right thing. Winds in Croatia are really something.

yesombre wrote:

Foreign sport and recreational aircraft can be flown in Croatian airspace only on the basis of an authorization for flight and submitted flight plan when crossing the Croatian border.

Did this get done without issue?

Thanks for the enjoyable trip report.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Aug 16:01

Silvaire wrote:

It reads like you had a great adventure. Was going to Zadar due to wind an in flight diversion? That would for sure be a learning experience. Either way it sounds like you did the right thing. Winds in Croatia are really something.

No, i changed my destination already in Wiener Neustadt and filed accordingly.
If the winds would have improved i might have changed my destination in flight, cause my routing was passing Mali Losinj anyway.

Silvaire wrote:

yesombre wrote:

Foreign sport and recreational aircraft can be flown in Croatian airspace only on the basis of an authorization for flight and submitted flight plan when crossing the Croatian border.

Did this get done without issue?

Well at least i didn’t get any problems.
I actually called them and asked, if i understand the following paragraph correctly.

It is considered that foreign sport and recreational aircraft is authorized to fly in the Croatian airspace if the following conditions are met:

The aircraft has a valid certificate of airworthiness in accordance with the regulations of the country of registration of the aircraft,
The aircraft must be insured in accordance with the EU regulation governing mandatory insurance for the aircraft, and
The aircraft is not allowed to be used for operations for which remuneration is received, except in the case of participation in flying displays or competitions.

It really seems to mean, that if the above criteria are met, the plane is considered authorized. A flight plan has to be submitted anyway.

All in all, i have to admit, nobody really cares about it (as long as there is no third party damage probably).
I was thoroughly checked some weeks ago in Germany by the LBA and even after going through all the aircraft papers,
they didn’t ask for the permit to fly in Germany (of course i have one).

EDGH

Great real world info. Thanks!

Fantastic flight and work
I had my bucker jungmann in Germany n reg for 3 years but since I work in USA every time I planned a flight and arrived the weather was Ifr and of course open cockpit not compatible ended up shipping it back to USA where I fly it every weekend I can
But I got an rv8 now that I plan to fly to Europe hoping to base in Hungary my parents birthplace
Asked a question to the forum but no one answered
S when I built my rv8 I also got my repairman certificate meaning that I am the approved a+p for that airplane, can I sign the inspections?
It also is Ifr, night flying and aerobatic approvals from the DAR
thanks for your info it was very helpful
The rare flights with my bucker involved Augsburg wels budaors, also went to tankosh and local areas no trouble with 180 day of flying since I still work in USA for the time being and half a year flying is good enough for me Europe in winter is no flight tim for meEnjoy d your post

KHQZ, United States

magyarflyer wrote:

when I built my rv8 I also got my repairman certificate meaning that I am the approved a+p for that airplane, can I sign the inspections?

If you are the original builder of your RV and accordingly have the Repairman Certificate you can sign off annual condition inspections. If you had instead bought an FAA Experimental Amateur Built plane built by somebody else, you would need an A&P mechanic to sign them off, but he would not need to have inspection authorization (IA), which is relevant for certified planes.

As an aside, there are a lot of Bückers in my US area, a couple of them were rebuilt so extensively that they are licensed as amateur built, even though they are built up from Spanish and/or Czech parts.

Most Bückers I saw in the US, and the two I have flown in TX (Decatur) had the 360 Lycoming engine. Are there some with the original engine?

Alexis wrote:

Most Bückers I saw in the US, and the two I have flown in TX (Decatur) had the 360 Lycoming engine. Are there some with the original engine?

Very few, but some. Most Jungmanns in the US are Spanish built, originally had a Tigre engine, and were mostly imported around 40 years ago. While they could be flown on that engine it took a great amount of fiddling and specialized knowledge to do so, with the Spanish logbooks showing it was the same in Spain – the Air Force used to overhaul them every 200 hrs or something like that. The planes here are flown a lot, and generally over populated areas where you can’t easily land. After many engine failures over the years including one that just happened to occur near a very long Navy runway, our local proponent of the type finally gave up and engineered the best O-360 conversion he could. He was a particularly persnickety guy, the kind that I remember flying his open cockpit biplanes in a pressed shirt so it came out pretty nicely – nicer than the similar Swiss Air Force conversion. Obviously being a lighter and more powerful engine, performance is also much improved even if the cowling appearance is the best imperfect compromise. Before he passed on I talked with him about whether it would be practical to reengineer the Tigre, and do it as a project. A very nice man and not one to discourage anybody, he replied that he did have some engines in his hangar…

We also have a couple of ex-Swiss Jungmeisters locally both of which are original, one of them down to the ‘last rivet’ (a perfect restoration on a plane the current owner bought from the Swiss in 1970) and they have the original Siemens radial, with spare engines also on hand. That’s a different class of aircraft in terms of collectibility, and they are not not flown every weekend year round like the Jungmanns are here.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Sep 15:16

LeSving wrote:

Funny thing. According to regulations, two altimeters are needed for IFR. However, the regulations do not say where they are to be placed. He will place the other in the back seat (he hasn’t mounted it yet though). Really nice looking plane, still not finished with the trimming of the paint job. He used 15 years building it (same wife he emphasized )

Hmm, feels like a bad move. There really is no excuse today, when you can get the L3 Trilogy, or Garmin G5 or Sandia that both have barometric altitude and won’t tak up anymore space. You can have that as your EFIS to replace horizon, then keep the analog altimeter. I would not want to fly IFR without a backup instrument.

Thank you, Silvaire, very interesting,
There’s two Jungmanns with the inline engine at my field (EDML) and two Jungmeisters aswell. Maybe you want to have a look next time you’re here.

Great trip; well done!
I particularly like, “every flight is a training flight”!

Forever learning
EGTB
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message