Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ex-military turboprop on a FAA experimental in the UK

10 Posts

I am really interested in buying a SM1019, basically a Cessna Bird-dog on steroids, built in Italy for their Airforce, with a RR250 gas turbine. There are a few of these for sale in the US flying on Experimental certificates.
Does anyone know what the rules are if I want to base one in the UK? I only want to fly day VFR with occasional trips to France and Italy. I have a FAA piggy-back licence.
Can one be operated in Europe on an Experimental CofA and based here?
Can I fly on my EASA PPL and FAA licence?

Since its a European ex-military aircraft I might look into how to get it onto a European register. I don’t think FAA Experimental Exhibition (which is where it would sit on FAA register) is going to work outside of the USA.

Pilot DAR has experience flying them and had some interesting comments.

Wild guess, but I’d bet it has an EASA type certificate and can be operated normally here. It just probably never had a US type certificate and therefore had to be on some sort of experimental or exhibition type there.

They’re cool planes BTW and the RR250 is pretty much bomb proof.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 Aug 18:07

It has an EASA TC only.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 18 Aug 19:25

Yes, I agree they are really cool! I have flown the standard Bird-dog a lot, a great aeroplane for farm strips and not as difficult to handle on the ground as some would suggest. A real gentleman’s aircraft, it’s just a bit slow.
I did a search on the EASA website for a type certificate but couldn’t find one, does anyone know if it could qualify as an Annexe 1 type and what the certification procedure (and cost) would be?

Marchettiman wrote:

A real gentleman’s aircraft, it’s just a bit slow.

The standard Bird Dog is known as a big pussy cat. @Pilot_DAR s comments on the SM1019 were something about it being uncontrollable with full throttle and full flaps on the go around, but he’d have to confirm. Something like that anyway.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Aug 19:33

If you want one that is already on the EASA register there is one currently based in Stockholm. I do not think it is advertised as “for sale” but the guy who owns it does buy and sell aircraft so I guess he is always willing to talk. If you want, I can probably give you his contact details.

ESSZ, Sweden

I guess @Snowbirdxx also knows something about this type.

Last Edited by europaxs at 19 Aug 07:59
EDLE

Marchettiman wrote:

I have flown the standard Bird-dog a lot, a great aeroplane for farm strips and not as difficult to handle on the ground as some would suggest

We used to have them in the army here. From what I think I remember people said, they have a very “springy” under carriage, more so than the Cub for instance, which the Bird Dog replaced. I always found it a bit odd that Cessna would have made an aircraft that is difficult to land though. I have never flown one, but would really like to The piston version is said to be the most efficient glider tow plane of all (in time to alt, not fuel burn). That TP version looks fantastic.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

maybe these guys can help on infos and more!!

fly2000
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message