Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A Europa or... What else to consider?

I’m hopefully only three or four weeks away from getting my licence. As such I am now seriously considering an aircraft purchase.

In my introduction post earlier this year I said that I was interested in a Europa. I still am. I’ve now flown one and liked it. It might take a while to find the right one though. Perhaps I am restricting myself too much?

I like the Europa because:

• It runs on an LAA Permit (I am technically minded and don’t want the hassle of CofA maintenance regimes)
  • It runs on Mogas/UL91 (I feel better environmentally but can still use 100LL in a pinch)
  • It can grow with me as I gain experience and confidence in flying further afield (they are capable of bimbling and European touring)
  • It can be moved by road easily (not essential but a great backup option and saves being held to ransom for maintenance/repair away from home)
  • It can be operated from farm strips (my nearest proper airport is an unpleasant hour’s drive away)
  • It has good touring capacity (carries two people comfortably with decent weight/volume of baggage AND full fuel)
  • It has a very reasonable cost per hour (15-18ish litres per hour of fuel)
  • It has a healthy following (lots of people to get help and advice from)

My question is whether there are any other similar types out there worth considering also. RVs are very nice but cost more to buy and run (although I did see a Rotax powered one for sale the other day). What have I missed?

S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom

It might be useful to indicate your budget.

Also, is a Rotax cheaper to run than a Lyco? I know “everybody” says that but power can come only from burning fuel, and once you are burning it at peak EGT, there is very little more gain to be had, so I can’t see much difference once set up in cruise.

If in the UK, you may also want to check what the route is to getting IFR approval for it. @Norman might know more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I went through what you are going through about 2 years ago (except I already had my licence).

All I can say is really think hard about you mission profile. For me, I wanted something ‘slightly complex’, fast with a decent payload and cheap.

I kept coming back to the Europa Monowheel in my search. It seemed to be the best fit overall. Some were faster, but had less payload… Other, vice versa, more payload and slower. The tri-gear version grabs about 8% – 10% of the cruise speed, but is still a capable aircraft.

For me, the monowheel is OK. The key is practice, and think ahead, especially on landings – but it’s OK, just respect it.

Where I think the Europa can be troublesome is in the maintenance. It’s a composite aircraft and therefore requires some considerable effort in setting up your maintenance facilities at home/hanger. For me, in the mono it’s worth it – my career and hobby is engineering anyway, so I have a lot of fun flying and maintaining mine. However,the extra cruise speed of the monowheel makes this effort pay off.

I think, when you look at the tri-gear the Europa is still very much the leader of the pack, but others such as RV with easier maintenance can be attractive. (But remember you can trailer the Europa easily, so a workshop at home vs airfield can also be a bonus).

If I went for a tri-gear I would look for one with the 914 in it. It burns more fuel but you have a little bit more speed than a mono with a 912, but you also have more altitude available because of the turbo. Good for touring and say going over the alps.

Do speak with as many people as you can. Europaxs on this forum is a very good source on the Europa Tri-gear, and if you need I can put you in touch with other (non-euroga) Europa fliers – just PM me.

But as with everything in aviation, especially the maintenance:-

Think three times, measure twice, cut once.

EDHS, Germany

Peter wrote :

I know “everybody” says that but power can come only from burning fuel, and once you are burning it at peak EGT, there is very little more gain to be had, so I can’t see much difference once set up in cruise

Peter, probably, but Lycos use fuel to some extent for cooling, especially on Take-Off and Landing, plus they tend not to have piston rings so you burn oil, and they should “burn a little”.

With Rotax on the 912 they are air and liquid cooled, plus you shouldn’t burn oil.

I use 14 to 15 litres per hour in my Europa, against 22 to 25 litres per hour in the club C152… And I have more payload

Oh and edited to say, Avgas vs Mogas… Which means more bacon in my sandwich at the destination :)

Oh and edited again to say, 115kts vs 90kts… If I do MPG, my Europa is better than a car – so can the anti-aviation environmental lobby please %£&# off

Last Edited by italianjon at 11 Oct 06:49
EDHS, Germany

I really don’t want to start another Rotax v. Lyco thread but

Lycos use fuel to some extent for cooling, especially on Take-Off and Landing,

is very true. That is relevant when PPL training; lots of circuits. Not if you are going somewhere.

plus they tend not to have piston rings so you burn oil, and they should “burn a little”.

I think you are pulling my leg Anyway, oil costs next to nothing. Menorca and back, 9-10hrs, I burnt 1 litre. And that’s a big engine (540).

Avgas vs Mogas

That’s another (of many) thread and yes, that is relevant – if you have Mogas purchasing and transport facilities. Think hard about this one, and your specific situation. At this level of GA, one is not talking about chucking a 20 litre jerrycan in the back of the car.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

S57 wrote:

What have I missed?

Just about every other experimental aircraft out there Your list will fit almost everything as well. If by moving by road you actually mean you will like to have the option if you happen to get stranded somewhere, then most aircraft can have their wings removed in a matter of an hour or two with 2-3 people (a bit more to put them back maybe). It’s IMO not a big deal, unless you actually plan to use that option often (daily or weekly) and you are alone.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

It might be useful to indicate your budget.

I never like being asked that question. Not because I am shy about talking about money, far from it. Rather my main aim is getting value for money. If product B is 100% better than A but costs only 50% more then I will generally go for B, even though it is beyond my budget and I might have to wait for it.

BUT, having said that… A Europa might be in the region of £30,000. Other craft such as RV12s, NG5s, etc. seem to be £60,000 plus some. I could afford a Europa now but not an RV12 which might have to wait. But, even if I could buy an RV12 now, is it really twice as good?

Peter wrote:

If in the UK, you may also want to check what the route is to getting IFR approval for it.

I almost put this on my list of Europa ‘likes’, that it is likely to get IFR approval. I’ve met a few owners now who say they are almost through the process. It will never be a hard IMC aircraft, I understand that, but will increase its legal usability.

italianjon wrote:

…think hard about you mission profile. For me, I wanted something ‘slightly complex’, fast with a decent payload and cheap.

Jon, it seems we are after a very similar thing as my list would be the same. I wrote my list of ‘likes’ with a view to it indicating my mission profile. Very interested that you ended up with a Europa monowheel as I am looking at the very same! I had originally felt that being a new PPL only a tri-gear would make sense. But having talked to a few people and read a lot of forum posts I am happier that, with a good training conversion process (paid for several times over by the cost saving on a mono), they should not pose a particular problem.

Peter wrote:

That’s another (of many) thread and yes, that is relevant – if you have Mogas purchasing and transport facilities. Think hard about this one, and your specific situation. At this level of GA, one is not talking about chucking a 20 litre jerrycan in the back of the car.

The guy I went to see recently had a very slick and simple Mogas refueling system. Probably quicker than the pumps at a few airfields. Given that I will seek to base it at a field with no fuel facilities then this is somewhat irrelevant. If visiting a somewhere with UL91 then I’d probably top it up but wouldn’t want to go somewhere at the start of each trip just to refuel.

S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom

S57 wrote:

But, even if I could buy an RV12 now, is it really twice as good?

The RV12 is only half as fast

Last Edited by europaxs at 11 Oct 08:22
EDLE

A cost sheet for my Rotax 914 monowheel Europa XS (N registered). I was recently based in BE, CH, UA. Having your plane at home will definitively cut the cost. I do about all maintenance myself.

And yes, I use 20L jerrycans with E95 or E98 from the car pump nearby. The Rotax 914 of my Europa almost never saw 100LL. Even at major (international) airports, I check upfront to be able to go through security with jerrycans. Was about always OK till now.
People who put their Europa on an open trailer can even fill it in directly at the pump when they go for a local flight :)

I just like it and could not justify the X times higher expenses for a plane that will marginally go faster (mine does 150-155KTAS on 20L/h at altitudes without supplementary oxygen, faster higher due to turbo). The only drawback is that it is a 2 seater. Having one that does 200KTS+ with full deicing will be XX times higher expenses.

An already old picture , but still very nice.

Belgium

ploucandco wrote:

People who put their Europa on an open trailer can even fill it in directly at the pump when they go for a local flight

I can do that in my (enclosed) trailer as well (just a little door to pull the fuel hose in). It costs 1,35 EUR/l, uses 20 l/h in fast cruise – calculate yourself

EDLE
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message