Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First flight of an original Fieseler Storch

Se also here (in Norwegian)

9000 hours of restauration, not counting countless hours of research and drinking coffe.

There are only 10 Storchs with original engine flying in the world today. Two of them are in Norway, this one at Kjeller, and another one at Sola.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Can you build an aircraft with a Nazi cross on it ?
Even the models of WW2 planes I bought when I was a teenager had their cross removed (I bought them all, not only Germans ) . This sign is forbidden in most of Europe.

France was occupied like Norway, and very few people restored German WW2 planes in France (for obvious reasons). Funny that Norwegians do.

Not a political opinion, just a bit surprising for me

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

This sign is forbidden in most of Europe.

The symbol is ancient, and is used in almost all cultures on the globe. It typically symbols the sun in motion over the sky. Just because the Nazis hijacked the symbol for a fraction of a second in the history of mankind, doesn’t change this. Nevertheless, in Norway it is forbidden to use as a political symbol.

Jujupilote wrote:

France was occupied like Norway, and very few people restored German WW2 planes in France (for obvious reasons). Funny that Norwegians do.

This particular aircraft was actually built in Paris at the end of the war, as most of these Storchs were Anyway, we have been in war with Sweden, Denmark. How long can you be angry at someone or something else for what their grandparent generation has done?

We restore all kinds of planes. It’s about history, aviation and fascination of truly remarkable engineering at it’s time.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The symbol is ancient, and is used in almost all cultures on the globe. It typically symbols the sun in motion over the sky.

Ah, so that’s what the symbol on the Fieseler Storch symbolizes. Finally I learned something from you! Makes it a pretty neat plane then.

LeSving wrote:

Anyway, we have been in war with Sweden, Denmark. How long can you be angry at someone or something else for what their grandparent generation has done?

Another good reason to start putting this beautiful “sun in motion over the sky” symbol on the tail of our airplanes! Maybe combine it with red and white background?

Quite unbelievable what you post here…

LeSving wrote:

There are only 10 Storchs with original engine flying in the world today.

I wonder who makes parts for the Argus engines, when needed. An English guy flew his Bölkow 207 to the fly-in in Germany and we talked briefly about his pursuit of a Bf 108 Taifun. His comment was to have one with the original Argus would be “totally mad”… in a good way, of course. Anyway it’s neat to hear the engine run in the video.

Just as with interesting ex-Soviet planes, I think it’s great to see something like this restored and flying in private ownership. That’s more vastly more symbolic than anything else about the plane.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Oct 15:50

achimha wrote:

Another good reason to start putting this beautiful “sun in motion over the sky” symbol on the tail of our airplanes! Maybe combine it with red and white background?

Quite unbelievable what you post here…

It’s limits to the importance we should give mad men obsessed with the notion of “ruling the world” (meaning killing off everybody that “disagree” or isn’t “fit”) throughout history. History is full of them btw, and all had their “symbols”. Caesar, Napoleon, Stalin, Mao etc etc. Hitler was no better or worse as far as I’m concerned. Simply yet another asshole with way too much influence.

This is a historical plane, restored to it’s historical condition and looks. It represent a great historical contribution to our resent history from the last occupation of our country, plain and simple (that, and it’s also a truly great plane). Who are you to teach us how we shall tell our history? Truly a remarkable display of arrogance here!

Silvaire wrote:

I wonder who makes parts for the Argus engines, when needed

It is told in another article about this plane in another magazine (but I know people here would get all upset, so I can send it in a PM to you). There are 12 of these engines in operation. 10 are in Storchs and 2 are in Taifuns.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve seen an Argus powered Taifun flying in the US… they might’ve forgotten about that one I’ve read elsewhere that there are three flying Argus-powered Taifuns but maybe #3 is the one in the Messerschmitt museum in Manching – it is under current restoration and will fly again.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Oct 16:20

LeSving wrote:

How long can you be angry at someone or something else for what their grandparent generation has done?

You are missing the point
Nobody here is angry at those whose grandparents exterminated millions of innocent people.
Painting swastika on an otherwise beautifully restored aircraft is very bad taste – to say the least
Your comments about Hitler and “symbol of sun in motion over sky” are inappropriate.

Last Edited by Robin_253 at 15 Oct 16:24

Silvaire wrote:

I wonder who makes parts for the Argus engines, when needed.

The problem is less serious than it seems. Parts like pistons and connecting rods can be custom-produced, and if you order, say, a batch of 50, you will get them at a price comparable to the retail price of similar mass-produced parts. I can get the necessary contacts here in Czech Republic, and given that Storch production continued in Czechoslovakia after WWII, there may even be production drawings available.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

I can get the necessary contacts here in Czech Republic, and given that Storch production continued in Czechoslovakia after WWII, there may even be production drawings available.

The drawings that would be the key issue, and it’s an interesting point that the Czech versions might be available! Without drawings you’re having to reverse engineer from existing parts and that’s relatively difficult.

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message