Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is a finished homebuilt worth more than the cost of the parts?

Some RVs fetch good money in the UK, due to this (and many other threads).

The group which can’t get a Class 2 has just as much money as any other group; actually probably more (e.g. stress/workload induced heart disease) and they will pay almost anything for an Annex 1 type which is not a bodge and which flies well.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Now is for sale a new RV14A for 205k, which seems its worth.
The guy likes building so he continually builds RVs and sell them. It’s his 5th.

A different planet

LFOU, France

LeSving wrote:

No illusion. It’s very much the truth.

Na, it isn’t. I own certified and uncertified aircraft and in the end, running costs are not driven by the question of the regime.

To the original question: A good MJ-2 Tempête will set you back anything around 15 to 30 k€. The MJ-100 Spit is on the market now for 350k. Both are plans built aircraft. The MJ-2 is usually traded below value of the pieces and the MJ-100 is way above the value of the pieces (although that Allison engine is not cheap). So it is essentially a matter of built quailty and type popularity.

The same as with certified aircraft. A MS880 is realistically trades around 10k. A comparable C150 with essentially the same (or a bit less) practical value is catching around 30k.

Interesting is the value of unfinished projects. You can get a Long-EZ or COZY project very cheap and “only” need to finish it. This is the most “Value for money” can can purchase, if you intend to build.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

It is certainly true that the maintenance actions required for safe operation will be the same for two planes – one certified and one not certified – containing the same bits, in the same condition, with the same history, and flying the same profile.

The cost of performing those maintenance actions will depend quite strongly on lots of details, and those can and do vary between certified and uncertified, but they vary even more according to peripheral factors like whether you use a freelance mechanic, or pay a company.

Regarding values, ref my post above, I spoke to somebody who was building an RV10, maybe a couple of years ago, and he would have wanted some £250k. However I believe this must be because it is a highly desirable plane for those who can’t get a Class 2 medical anymore. You don’t need a PhD to work out where somebody with a “high perf” plane like a TB20, SR22, etc, is going to be digging upon the permanent loss of their medical, just so they can fly “somehow, somewhere”… within the UK only and only VFR. If you can get a Class 2, 250k will buy you something much more usable. It will buy you a TB20GT which is gold plated from front to back and so loaded up with goodies that it will never get off the ground

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

mh wrote:

I own certified and uncertified aircraft and in the end, running costs are not driven by the question of the regime.

This is only true if:

1. You live at a high density populated area where maintenance organizations are readily available (you don’t have to fly 2-300 NM to find one)
  2. You do minimal maintenance yourself (because of (1) and/or because your local CAA don’t allow it)
  3. Freelance mechanics are not allowed/does not exist

Regime, regime, regime.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter, I think we are barking up the wrong tree with the class 2 concept.

People buy home builds in the UK because they cost less to run and are often more modern.

If you can’t get a class 2 you can still fly a TB20, using your LAPL privileges or even self certification medical. UK VFR only obviously, or if you can get the LAPL MED you can fly it to Europe too.

There’s no difference in medical requirement now for certified or non certified aircraft in the UK.

EGKL, United Kingdom

(Oops just realised I’m half wrong. Self cert is for non EASA only. However you CAN fly an EASA aircraft on LAPL.)

I bet this changes after we fully brexit, and self cert will then apply to all G reg

EGKL, United Kingdom
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message