Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changing horses..

In the UK a Bristell NG5 can not be an ultralight/microlight. It comes under the LAA Permit system with a 600kg MAUW.
Mine is fully loaded equipmentwise as per the OP’s aircraft, A/P, Leather, CS Prop etc and weighs 330kg empty.

alanr wrote:

Mine is fully loaded equipmentwise as per the OP’s aircraft, A/P, Leather, CS Prop etc and weighs 330kg empty.

Mine weighs 5 kg more. So this must be the first positive effect of Brexit recorded so far. EU bureaucracy weighs us down!

Matt wrote:

How complex will it be to get the 600kg sign-off for a ULM that was originally certfied for 472,5kg but tested to a highter weight?

Don’t know, but I guess they would need to demonstrate it by analyses and/or structural test results. Obviously it becomes a lot easier if the design is ‘certified’ in other countries under a higher MTOM (for the Bristell that would be the UK, the US, CZ and Australia as a minimum).

A few notes:

1. This allowable increase in MTOM is incremental. If some manufacturer wishes to increase to any value in between 472,5 kg and 600 kg that’s allowed of course.

2. This is not a pan-European thing at all at this stage. Germany, CZ and Italy will adopt it and there will be a lobby for others to follow. France declines. And it is also not clear yet what this means for the legal status of a 600kg ULM overflying a country that has not adopted this increased mass..

3. It’s not a matter of MTOM only. Not sure whether the exact values have been cast in stone yet, but there are some other performance parameters that need to be met too:
>max empty weight: 365 kg (currently around 300 kg in most countries)
>max stall speed: 45 KCAS (currently 35)
>max T/O distance (to clear 15 m obstacle): 400 m

Alan, I’m sure that’s not an issue for the Bristell..

Last Edited by aart at 28 Feb 20:13
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

alanr wrote:

In the UK a Bristell NG5 can not be an ultralight/microlight. It comes under the LAA Permit system with a 600kg MAUW.

Is an Autopilot allowed in a Microlight in the UK? AFAIK it’s not allowed in German registered Microlights. They are all “deactivated” here

EDLE

aart,

maybe the factory would be able to tell you how to get it to 600 kg and what is necessary to do that. Seeing that the HD is marketed on their site with 600 kg, I guess upgrading a previous model if it is equal in build should be a paper exercise. The question is more whether it is possible under German registration.

I am surprised looking at those planes what value they can be at 600 kg. Nice performance, low consumption and proper payload is something even the certified market doesn’t do much…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I am surprised looking at those planes what value they can be at 600 kg. Nice performance, low consumption and proper payload is something even the certified market doesn’t do much…

Indeed. The Europa Trigear burns 27 l/h MOGAS on MCP (>150 KTAS) at FL100 with the Turbo Rotax. Payload is 250 kg – mind you, it’s a twoseater.

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

mind you, it’s a twoseater.

Well most of them are… and actually realistically most 4 seater certified ones are two seaters too once they are fully fueled and loaded with baggage…. I now do need more than 2 seats for our little family but it is nice to see these things coming up together with regulation to be able to fly them legally.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

They’ll do the same, once properly certified (e.g. Fascination D9-VLA, Tomark SD-4 LSA, Bristell N23, etc.). And they are even capable to be flown at night…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Well most of them are… and actually realistically most 4 seater certified ones are two seaters too once they are fully fueled and loaded with baggage

Those ULM 2-searters are mostly sub-1-seaters, once loaded with full fuel and luggage.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Just to make a small point: a 4-seater tourer (TB20, SR22, etc) can carry vastly more luggage (with 2 people) than any Rotax powered 2-seater (with 1 person), if you want to carry enough fuel to go anywhere. The mission profile is just different and this is one reason why many people stick with the bigger stuff. For example the weight of my “permanent junk” (life raft, toolbox, emergency bag, various stuff like fluids, toolbox, etc) comes to a good 30kg and any luggage is on top of that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

While both TB20 or SR22 are probably more expensive then Rotax powered 2 seaters, Robins can be bought for a fraction of their price. Taking my aircraft as an example: empty weight 615kg, MTOW 1100. I can fill tanks with 240 litres of mogas, take 4 adults and travel 800 NM.

Sign in to add your message