Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Lancair Evolution turboprop in Europe (production moved to Europe)

The other problem with the jetprop is that it is very small inside.

I would consider a Seneca V. It is a very solid aircraft with good performance and a a very good single engine ceiling of 16.000ft . They usually are equipped with weatherradar and they are very good in icing conditions ... miles better than a DA42 which is only great on fuel but is mediocre at best when you single engine, space etc .. maintenance is really offensively expensive.

A Seneca with The new sma diesel engines, preferably a bit more beefed up, now that would really be interesting ... cheap on fuel, twin and a solid 200kts... mmmm :-)

@achimHa - but check that she has got 2x 8,33 radios even today (cruising >FL200);-)

EDxx, Germany

Experimentals in Europe are regarded by the powers that are as something inferior to model aircraft and a nuissance, as they regard all GA anyhow but in the case of experimentals they have the legal backing to forbid them doing normal operations. Unless Lancair certifies those planes, operating them here will be no place for them.

So we have the situation where in the US we have many manufacturers going the non certified way in order to survive and we have the usual situation in Europe of blockade and refusal by the regulators.

Neither a 4P nor the turboprop will therefore fly the European skies IFR under the Empire's register. They might "allow" it to fly IFR under N-Reg but we all know they are trying their best effort to stop this once and for all. And those planes are not reasonable tools to be used VFR, no point at all.

Even the 4P is a phantastic airplane. I read a report of a guy who flew his to Switzerland from the US in 17 hours flight time (with the usual stops but still...) and now is writing reports here how he flies it around Europe at speeds alike a Citation I. The turboprop of course is even better.

Unless we can liberate European aviation from the EASA gang, for us it does remain simply to watch through the new wall with envy to the US. Or take the final step and emigrate before the EUSSR is closing the borders...

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I would consider a Seneca V.

I friend of mine owns it. It's ok in terms of space and speed but fuel consumption, maintenance and problems wtih cracking cylinders are definitely something I don't want to get involved into.

SMA diesel engines for Seneca ... I don't know when it's going to happen.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

SMA diesel engines for Seneca ... I don't know when it's going to happen.

That will be difficult to fit into Piper's $0 R&D budget

What kind of deice capabilities is available on the Lancair Evo?

Therm-X make a system for the Evolution. I wonder if Lancair provide an option for it to be fitted as standard.

Their website states that the kit for the airframe and prop costs $19,500. The heated windshield (not sure if it is a hot plate or a complete heated WS) costs a further $500.

Installation costs another $11,500. $31,500 for the entire system including installation seems about right from what I know (not a lot). As a comparisan, to install TKS on a TB20 costs about £35,000 including installation.

The Therm-X system consists of electrically heated strips, very effective of course, you don't have the possibility of a boot not breaking off the ice, and TKS does not run for very long from what I gather (on the TB20 it lasts 1-2 hrs).

Another advantage is that the enite system weight around 40 pounds, a far cry from the 50kg of the TB20 system, and you have no fluid to top up (which I also hear is quite expensive).

So it seems that the system has the effectiveness of TKS, and the infinite use of a boot. I can't see how it won't catch on.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

United Kingdom

I saw this today at Mali Losinj LDLO

I could not get a good pic of the panel without climbing up onto the wing, which I didn't want to do...

The landing gear is sturdy, and the use of large diameter wheels with huge disk brakes and bizjet-like low profile tyres is interesting

Overall build quality appears very good.

I did notice that in common with most GA aircraft there was little or no grease on the visible control surface bearings, and he will pay a price for that in the long run...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not much use in UK as you can't keep a homebuilt for more than 28 days. On G reg the VFR day only is too much of a restriction.

United Kingdom

Sure, but as with income tax if you "move around" nobody is going to go after you anyway?

One would choose a base where nobody will care. I think where I saw it would be as good as any. Certainly not the UK or Germany.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message