Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Lancair Evolution turboprop in Europe (production moved to Europe)

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Funny enough they sell the Evolution under their own brand.

Come to think of it. That’s the way experimentals are officially named, in Norway at least, and I think everywhere. With the drawings comes a license to build one aircraft. Thus the aircraft is not made by Lancair, and therefore cannot be called a Lancair. It’s an Evolution, but it’s a “Johnson” Evolution or whatever the name of the entity that build it. In everyday speak it is a Lancair of course, but officially it is not.

Peter wrote:

A reciprocating engine would address one of these issues.
A smaller wing would address the other.

There are other solutions to this problem. Vans, Sonex and MCR (among others) have their variants. Smaller wing (wing area) is mostly to get the wing loading up so you can ride at those speeds in comfort. I don’t really understand that comment. Even airliners are fighting induced drag in cruise (not parasitic drag). That’s the reason for winglets in all modern variants.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

But I am sure he is not making it up.

With Austin you very well may be sure. He’ll take the bull by the horns and if it kills him. Just read up on his fight on patent trolls.

On the other hand, Austin knows darn well how to post for effect.

What I heard is that generally he is over the moon with his toy but simply wants to do to it what he does to every software he writes: make it perfect. Well, Xplane is now in version 10 or 11, so he’ll be on a long journey. If Lancair wanted to profit from the guy, they should listen to him. Most people I know do listen when he comes up with something, if not for any other reason than to get ideas they can later claim as their own :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Make sure you secure that front windscreen properly when you build it….

Evolution crash

They missed out on an opportunity to use the word “plummet” but maybe that isn’t common in the USA?

The Evo also gets some interesting issues with the landing gear… and various other things. That plane is soooo far from getting certified.

However this is interesting. I thought these are mostly factory built, and if I was getting one I would definitely want somebody to do all these bits properly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FORGET the Evo crash, I wanna know why Ben Laden’s photos of his body were never released !

Last Edited by Michael at 16 May 06:28
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Does anyone know if the N111XA will be this summer on Mali Lošinj?

I am planning to be there at the start of September ’17 and would love to talk to the owner.

Thanks!

What are your thoughts on EVOP with EI2 engine??? Somehow I think that would be more interesting for the folks in Europe!

He’s a well known Czech businessman, Michal Čimera. All this is in the public domain. He wrote up his purchase in a long article on the Lancair site but it seems to have gone now. He has a Youtube site and was on twitter at one point.

There is a thread on the piston version here.

On FR24, there is no evidence of any of these in Europe except the two well known ones. Of course they could be flying without Mode S but that would cripple an aircraft of this type.

Administrator

I’ve just spotted an South African owner’s post in the Lancair forum, saying: There are currently three Evos in Africa: two in South Africa and one in Botswana. That’s as many as in Europe. He also says he got zero support from the factory…

Administrator

Is the Evolution dead now, in both the supply of new kits or a possibility of certification?

Last I heard they sold about 80 kits.

Administrator

Production of the Evolution, all tools, jigs and molds, has moved to Europe, to JMB’s factory in Czech Republic.
https://news.jmbaircraft.com/2022/interview_evolution/
https://news.jmbaircraft.com/2022/new-chapter/
The plane is presented shortly on their website: https://www.jmbaircraft.com/evolution
According to some other press articles, JMB is targetting to finish the certification.

ESMK, Sweden
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message