Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying the Lancair Evolution turboprop in Europe (production moved to Europe)

The Evolution is an example of the ultimate turboprop travelling machine, but there are indeed certified examples doing this just as nicely. They are slightly larger, more expensive, but the mission profile is the same. The Evolution is probably the least “homebuildy” of them all, in all kinds of way. But as an aircraft it is probably better than all it’s certified counterparts because it is tailor made for the pilot and a couple of passengers, and nothing else.

Have you actually seen one, and one of the certified turboprops?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter’s just an anti-authoritarian who is desperate to enter the permit world but can’t find the right vehicle! ;)

Forever learning
EGTB

Peter wrote:

Have you actually seen one

No, but in less than a couple of weeks I will be at Osh I will probably take a look at the Evolution as well, but it’s not my first priority. The certified TBMs etc I have of course seen, but it’s not my type of aircraft. To me they are as sexy as a minivan, or a mini bus.

What I mean is that the certified variants are certified for commercial operations (as a minivan or a mini bus, which is what they are), while the Evolution cannot be used for any commercial activity whatsoever being an experimental homebuilt, hence the design is purely centered around the pilot and his personal use. So while the TBM is a VW Transporter, the Evolution is an Audi A8.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I met and spoke with a Lancair IV P owner who had a pressurization failure and was lucky to survive. He doesn’t fly the plane above 18,000 feet (IIRC) any more, based on how fast he can descend. I’m guessing it’s easier to implement cabin pressurization with a turbine engine (as on the Evolution) but I think an experimental pressurization system is not something I’d be greatly attracted to. I also knew a guy who built a different Walter turbine powered homebuilt and it was a maintenance nightmare when compared with piston powered warbirds he’d owned before. He had a guy working on it seemingly non-stop and eventually sold it for much less than he’d invested.

I have no problem with other people experimenting with turbine powered or pressurized homebuilts for their education and recreation, but I think it would have to be somebody who can devote their life to it. My observation is that they are not quasi-production aircraft flown by people who would otherwise operate factory built and supported aircraft, they are very complex experimental aircraft owned by obsessive and well funded homebuilders using every resource at their disposal to make it possible.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jul 14:56

Stickandrudderman wrote:

Peter’s just an anti-authoritarian who is desperate to enter the permit world but can’t find the right vehicle! ;)

So true. But that TB20 should bee more than good enough for most travelling (I mean deice, IFR, IO540, retract and all). What he needs in addition is an older RV7/6/8/9, one that needs a new panel and IFR installation. Then make this new installation exactly as he wants it to be

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

the certified variants are certified for commercial operations

hence the design is purely centered around the pilot and his personal use

So while the TBM is a VW Transporter, the Evolution is an Audi A8.

Hmmm…. enjoy your visit to OSH, keep off the American burgers, and please do bring back some nice pics of the Evo

I met and spoke with a Lancair IV P owner who had a pressurization failure and was lucky to survive.

I am not surprised. Only rarely does that type pop up, ahem, just below RVSM, on FR24, in Europe

However IMHO there is a significant difference between the Evo (designed as a pressurised hull from the start) and the IV (a bigger version of the pretty “minimalist build” unpressurised 320/360 line and probably quite a challenge to keep the air inside with a differential of more than 1 psi )

There have been various issues with the Evo (vibration at high speed… hopefully not flutter) but not AFAIK in the pressurisation department.

Administrator

Come on. The TBM 850. It’s a big brute that looks to be designed for governmental work more than anything else.

Now, let look at some homebuilt aircraft:

Here is Lancair’s own comparison

Only the Propjet is slightly comparable.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

You have lost me completely. You are arguing something which nobody is arguing about, for or against. I can’t see the relevance of whether a TBM850 is for “governmental work” which is complete bollocks since most of them are private owner flown.

Administrator

The claim was “looks like have being designed for government work” … which is even more bewildering, at least to poor little me.
Neither can I understand the use of adding the pictures, I think most of us know what those planes look like.

OTOH I must agree that homebuilding offers access to a vastly wider variation of airplane types, and to a lot more personalisation.

For one example, myself would perhaps spend the money on a big powerful engine in a capable travelling machine, but would hate to pay for leather upholstery, airconditioning, and (as stated) the 10.000 quid CD player. If ever I have the budget (which seems highly unlikely) I might go for homebuilding an able traveller – a Lancair might well fit my bill – even piston-powered. Diesel preferred, car conversion ideally.

PS @S&Rm & @Peter: broad friendly grin!

Last Edited by at 12 Jul 18:56
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter wrote:

The Evolution must be the best example going of a non-certified plane which simply does not exist in a certified form

I think SF50 will be close. Price will be only 30% higher than Evolution.

Flares Lar 1 is another fast four seater. I’m not sure if it will every fly or if it was just an attempt at milking EU funds. Parameters look great. I’m cautiously optimistic.

LPFR, Poland
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message