Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The fastest / most capable UK LAA / Annex 1 aircraft type?

Lancairs look great but are not for short runways. I used to have a hanger neighbour with one at Denham (750m) and he moved out because of the “short” runway.

I don’t think a Lancair would necessarily fit Peter’s mission profile, but let me just add that 750-800m is fine for a Lancair. I fly mine in and out of an airport with that sort of runway setup on a very regular basis. The margin for error is reduced, of course, and one should never (ever!) hesitate to go around if there is the slightest doubt about any aspect of the approach, but I have no apprehensions about using a runway of that length.

Bordeaux

This enquiry is not for me. I am sticking with the TB20 (which can do 450m tarmac).

I quite often post questions for someone else. I get contacted all the time with questions (via my website) and normally I send people to EuroGA, but most can’t be bothered

For my flying, a homebuilt / LAA type would be almost useless, due to the need to get permits all the time. Also I like to have 100% uptime. But for many it is a great option.

Are there no more turboprop LAA (G-reg) types today?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jojo wrote:

Lancairs

Always worth saying WHICH Lancair. The ES, similar to the Columbia/Corvalis/TTX derived from it, has a completely different wing from the IV/IVP.

Biggin Hill

The Lancair Legacy that’s up on Avbuyer somewhere in France is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time. The hangar too in the middle of the forest. Awesome.

Lancair Legacy on AvBuyer

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Jojo wrote:
Lancairs
Always worth saying WHICH Lancair. The ES, similar to the Columbia/Corvalis/TTX derived from it, has a completely different wing from the IV/IVP.

@Cobalt – Actually, Stickandrudderman wrote that. I fly a Lancair 320. It’s in my profile if you care to look.

Last Edited by Jojo at 31 Dec 17:52
Bordeaux

Fair enough – but the first Lancair mentioned in the thread is the IV-P.

Biggin Hill

Peter_Paul wrote:

G-ICBM

Brilliant!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

What is the procedure for putting a turboprop onto the LAA system?

I am told that the really fast types e.g. Spitfires are not managed by the LAA and are managed by the CAA.

Is it correct to say that the LAA does all the Annex 2 types, except e.g. Spitfires as mentioned above?

Administrator

The LAA does those types that it wants to, limited to those types covered by its A8-26 approval: http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2016/News/A8-26.html

EGEO

I am advised that G-ICBM is not on the LAA. Apparently there is a way to tell from the G-INFO database, or some such. So that guy must have put in a lot of work. Also my source tells me that putting a turboprop on the LAA would be difficult due to a lack of time/expertise, with just one person there available to do it.

Together with the 28-day basing limit on non-G-reg homebuilts, this probably explains why there are so few high perf homebuilts in the UK.

Maybe somebody knows how the CAA route works?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message