Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Annex 2 (now Annex 1) aircraft in France with foreign registration (France cancels treaties on non-F-reg homebuilt privileges)

Hmm. In Norway we have never been allowed to “park” foreign airplanes longer than 6 (+6) months, and that goes for each and every aircraft, not just homebuilt. What’s needed to import experimental homebuilts looks similar to the letter above. except:

• 1 is irrelevant
  • 3 does not exist for airplanes from the USA. Only final inspection there, thus irrelevant or impossible.
  • 6 is bureaucratic nonsense for existing planes that also are built en mass in France.

However, #6 is also very easy if you have the drawings, or the spar is visible, and you have finished the first year at a poly-technical university. I’m sure lots people in the French homebuilt scene can do this in no time. Besides, #6 doesn’t even have basic specs or anything of what exactly the report is supposed to contain (maybe homebuilts built in France need such a report, and the specs for that report already exist?)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve just got this from a French pilot – a possibly useful update:

The DGAC released a regulation in January 2018 imposing foreign “experimental” a maximum duration of 28 days in the territory. This requires a border crossing every month (roughly) even if it is only 5 minutes!
For the planes already in France before the exit of this text the DGAC proposed to “franchise” them by means of some administrative and technical constraints. They will be classified in CNRA and not CNSK

The monthly flight abroad is an interesting method; it would not work for the EASA FCL anti N-reg move, for example (an occassional flight to Guernsey, etc).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The French regulation appears to be this one PDF local copy

Administrator

Meanwhile the Netherlands stopped to register foreign experimentals just before reopening after Corona.

Spain

Local copy of above post by @UL-AKI: Foreign_aircraft_Ministry_of_Ecological_and_Solidarity_Transition_pdf

It seems to affirm the 28 day rule for non-F-reg amateur built aircraft. It also deals with ultralights.

Administrator

Maybe I don’t get it, but what would be the problem of just applying for “a validation of their foreign airworthiness document”, if one intends to base a foreign registered amateur built aircraft in France (which is even suggested in the document)?

It seems to me, that this rule aims primarily at those foreign Experimentals which just want to overfly French territory.

EDLE

Following the changes to the rules on basing experimental foreign registration aircraft (e.g. PH) in France, effective as of January 2018, some “PH” Lancair owners (Glasair too, if my information is correct) have now successfully re-registered in France.

To be eligible for re-registration, foreign experimental aircraft must meet following criteria:
- kit imported to Europe before 1998
OR
- foreign registration aircraft was based in France “for some time” before the rule change came into effect in January 2018. Documentary evidence required.

Note: you will need determination and patience to get through the paperwork!

Bordeaux

Thanks for the update, Jojo.

I am sure others will be very interested, including @ugolin and @glob.

Can you offer any specific advice on the way to do the paperwork?

Administrator

Anyone wanting to go on the French register has to apply via OSAC (Organisme pour la Sécurité de l’Aviation Civile).
OSAC is authorised by the government to issue documents relating to airworthiness, and to carry out the related checks and verifications (administrative and technical), including an inspection of the aircraft before final papers are issued.
So that is the point of departure.
The Lancair kit is not recognised by the French administration per se (unlike Vans, for example) and so, before this rule change in 2018, there was no hope of ever getting a Lancair on the French register unless the kit had been imported to France before 1998.
That left some Lancair owners (and others) in limbo when the rule change came into effect in January 2018 – a solution had to be found for these owners and a door was effectively opened for registration in France, but only for aircraft already in France at the time of the rule change, with documentary evidence required. Tests required included non-destructive verification of the structural integrity of the wing.

Bordeaux
Sign in to add your message