Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turbine Legend

Could this go on an European reg?

650HP Walter engine… interesting and probably relevant as a PT6 alternative. Just about anything is more efficient than a PT6 especially lower down.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Found this article about one being based in Grenchen, Switzerland. The article mentions it had to stay N-reg because it could not otherwise have been registered in Switzerland, without going into details.

https://www.grenchnertagblatt.ch/solothurn/grenchen/ein-ferrari-der-luefte-findet-sein-neues-zuhause-in-grenchen-128133916 (in German)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I knew a guy who had a beautiful Turbine Legend, he built it with a partner/helper with the intent of simplifying his maintenance after many years of owning P-51s and T-6s. He told me he had $1M into it and I observed that he worked on it a lot, much more than flying. There were many problems to resolve, the one I remember clearly was a cracked engine mount.

Apparently a US company is doing a 1100HP version of this 725HP aircraft

Still not legal for IFR in Europe generally. If N-reg, the permit could be done without a VFR-only restriction but then you get bitten by the airspace rules.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

had to stay N-reg because it could not otherwise have been registered in Switzerland, without going into details.

I’ll give you some… at the moment, importing and reregistering a homebuilt aircraft into CH is not possible. Period.
The EAS (Experimental Aviation of Switzerland) and the FOCA are working on some solution for DE and AT homebuilts, as some exports already took place there. Not sure imports from the US register will ever happen here, reasons I will not divulge here as readership not EU limited

So the LSZG Swiss based N Legend is going to stay as is for a while

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I flew turbine legend last week. Amazing ultra stick sensitive aircraft. Much more than my lancair.
It was N-registered of course.

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message