Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tinted canopy - is it legal in the UK for night flying?

Hi,

Building an RV14 and would like a canopy tint. However, I have read that this is illegal for night flying in the US. Would this also apply for aircraft in the UK.

John

EGCV Sleap, United Kingdom

You’ll have to ask the LAA Engineering guys, who approve Permit aircraft on an individual basis for night and IMC flying.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

For night certification, all glass forward of the pilot has to be 70% or more transmissibility. That is very little in terms of a tint.

I think the LAA will use the certification as a basis.
Do they have a slider version of the RV-14 yet, so you could leave the forward part untinted?

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

@Mark_1 what certification basis are you refering to?

Last Edited by mh at 05 Sep 20:34
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

My reference was from the Federal part 23.775

I haven’t looked at the European equivalent, but they are generally in accord.

Edit: Exactly the same in CS23.775:
(e) The windshield and side windows forward
of the pilot’s back when he is seated in the normal
flight position must have a luminous transmittance
value of not less than 70% .

Last Edited by Mark_1 at 05 Sep 22:07
KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Yes, but that is no item restricting night flight certification, it affects general certification. There is no special windshield transmissibility specification for night flight.

(Besides, CS23.774 is Amdt4, but Amdt 5 does not contain such a specification. So if you intend to use lower values for transmissibility, you can do yo if you can show compliance to CS23.2600 (a))

CS 23.2600 Flight crew compartment
(a) The pilot compartment arrangement, including pilot view, and its equipment must allow the flight crew
to perform their duties within the operating envelope of the aeroplane, without excessive
concentration, skill, alertness, or fatigue.

Last Edited by mh at 06 Sep 10:02
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Repeat: If you’re going to be on an LAA Permit, consult the LAA Engineering guys.
And I’d want something attributable from them before spending money on the canopy, if Night Certification was important.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message