Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Test pilot wanted

Or should I post this under ‘pilot jokes’?

Guy on one of the UL fields here built this and is looking for a good and brave pilot.

Luckily I did not qualify, but I told him that on a certain forum we’re bound to find one.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Wow.

EGTK Oxford

He is very ambitious: planing on taking pax on a ride? (no stick in the back so no instruction)

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Sep 18:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Reminds me of an old thread on one Russian aviation forum. The guy had been cleaning out his father’s garage and found a pile of aluminium tubes and fabric that looked like a hang glider, and asked fellow members for help in assembling it properly. The first advice he received was to make sure it was a hang glider and not a camping cot.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Come on, what can go wrong with a nice glass display and all. Don´t tell me we´re all sissies at this side of the pond and that we have to revert to @Pilot_DAR . He’s 6 hours behind us, so no doubt we’ll see a post in the morning that he’s on his way.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I don’t know. Sometimes we’re a bit quick to laugh at such machines. Maybe it will fly and handle as sweetly as a Pitts – or even a Maule.

So aart, I think you should rise to the challenge. What could possibly go wrong? Here’s the drill:

Dress to impress with Vietnam war surplus HGU-2/P helmet and Nomex pants (eBay)…
Put just enough fuel in the tank for 10 minutes…
Taxi slowly up and down the runway to check whether the propeller (we can’t see in the photo, but presume it has one) is turning the right way…
Taxi a bit faster…
Lift the tail…
Lift a wing… set it down, then lift the other one…
After 8 minutes, lower the tail a smidgen and pick both wheels up into ground effect…
Set it back down, taxi back to the airfield boozer and treat yourself to a stiff G&T.

I mean, if a Scotch blacksmith could design, make and (almost) fly a plane (with no training or licence) 108 years ago this month… well… are you a man or a “wee, sleekit, cowran, tim’rous beastie”?

Last Edited by Jacko at 24 Sep 20:10
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

What kind of plane is it? some kind of Flying Flea ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Jacko wrote:

I don’t know. Sometimes we’re a bit quick to laugh at such machines. Maybe it will fly and handle as sweetly as a Pitts – or even a Maule.

@Aart, @Jacko appears to be applying and his qualifications seem impeccable.

EGTK Oxford

Don’t builders, especially of the “not from a known kit, but my own creation” kind, usually test-fly their machines themselves?

ELLX
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message