Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Norway

I have a good customer in Trondheim and have been meaning to fly there in the TB20 for a few years now, but a regular look at the MSLP charts tells me that there are likely to be maybe 10 chances per year for a trip there and fly back back home 2 days later, without severe icing conditions I can do EGKA-ENVA nonstop but …

The summer is usually OK, at least IFR should be no problem. Winter and long trips, you can get stranded for days, weeks even. The weather in Norway is often (but by no means always) such that if it’s bad in the east, it’s OK in the west and vice versa. Trondheim is sort of in the middle, so we always get the bad weather
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Bumping this thread since we are planning a trip from Mallorca to Norway at the end of this week.
The idea is to spend one week touring the Lofoten Islands.
Our plan is to fly to ENSH Svolvaer which is about 1800NM from home. Since we lack the range (and the will) we will stopover after 900-1000NM somewhere in Northern Germany or Denmark, then fly on to ENBO (Bodo) for refuelling and on to ENSH (Svolvaer) . On return we do have to stopover at EKRK for some business matters.

I’ll post separately on Denmark and N-Germany.

I’ve been reading some of the other threads and trip reports on Norway. I still have a few questions that I hope the experts or the locals are able to help with:

PFLY- In order to be able to land VFR-daytime outside of airport operating hours I underwent the training and obtained the PFLY agreement (no mean feat having to register in the Min Idret sports federation portal, all explained here ) . I am not sure how useful that will be since anyway after landing you still have to find a way out of the airport security zone for which you need the physical card which I do not have…any tips?

AVGAS ALTERNATES: it seems AVGAS availability near ENSH is scarce. I am planning to use ENBO Bodo as refuelling location but failing that, the nearest I have found are ENTC (Tromso) and ENBR (Bronnoysund) no fewer than 120nm away from ENBO. Am I missing something?

CUSTOMS: The VFR guide clearly says you can use any airport for entry as long as you advise customs. No indication on leaving the country, but I guess procedure is the same?

FUEL VAT: does the Norwegian VAT exemption for fuel on international flights apply if you will leave the country with an intermediate in-country stop?

Thanks!

Last Edited by Antonio at 23 Jul 21:17
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes, if you don‘t have the card, then the procedure is worthless. The point of the card is to be able to access the airports when not in operation. That said, this summer, the operating hours of most Norwegian airports are rather good, so possibly not such much of an issue.

By the way, Tromsø is closed for GA by NOTAM.

Yes, for outbound customs do the same, send FPL to customs 4h prior.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jul 21:50
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

For enroute fuel, consider EDXR. Currently 2.24€/l, about 1€/l less than expensive Danish fuel.

A period of good weather is starting in Northern Norway on Tuesday. Don‘t wait too long.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

A period of good weather is starting in Northern Norway on Tuesday. Don‘t wait too long.

I can’t really travel earlier than the weekend. It seems Mon-Tue next week better than the weekend…but it changes very quickly in those latitudes!

Thanks for the advise! Do you know if EDXR used to have customs in the past? If not then no need to advise them, but otherwise…

Since I will be travelling likely on Saturday 29th, I’ll have to wait it out for Wx in Norway so better if we can do something with the kids. Perhaps at Kiel or Bremerhaven we can see the U-boat or the maritime museum. Any other advise for a Wx wait-out in the area of EDXR with 12-13YO kids? Is fuel at EDHK or EDWI not similar price as EDXR? They are also IFR which may come in handy.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

I am not sure how useful that will be since anyway after landing you still have to find a way out of the airport security zone for which you need the physical card which I do not have…any tips?

Most Avinor airports (I think), have a swing door you can leave through, at least the larger ones have several. But to find them? they aren’t marked on any maps AFAIK. Best to call and ask up front. You can exit, but there is no way in again without a card. Avinor also has this multisite card. In theory it shall work on all airports you have signed up for. I don’t think you will get this card as a foreigner (tourist). In practice, no one that I am aware of has got a card that actually works Get in touch with a local from a local club or something is usually better.

Antonio wrote:

I am planning to use ENBO Bodo as refuelling location but failing that, the nearest I have found are ENTC (Tromso) and ENBR (Bronnoysund) no fewer than 120nm away from ENBO. Am I missing something?

Bardufoss (ENDU), and perhaps Evenes (ENEV)?

Antonio wrote:

No indication on leaving the country, but I guess procedure is the same?

No procedure to leave, but ATC would like you to include the position where you cross the border and at what time you cross in HHMM after take off, and call up when you are there. You write that in field 18 “Other information” in the FP as “EET/positionHHMM” (all in one go). This is VFR, have no clue about other procedures when flying IFR. This doesn’t mean there are no customs procedures to the country you are going TO however! Sweden is easy, just file a FP and go (1 h up front if I remember correctly).

But you have seriously long legs on that trip. What plane do you have?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

May I suggest a stop in Sweden on the way to Norway. The SEK is a lot cheaper than the DKK at the moment so you will get more value. You can land at ESMS or ESME and live in Malmö or Lund. Both towns are nice for a short stop.

ESSZ, Sweden

And make sure that you have BP Carnet Card for your trip. It is very useful in Norway, at least it was in 2018 when I did a trip to North Cape.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 24 Jul 03:04
ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

The SEK is a lot cheaper than the DKK at the moment so you will get more value.

How does currency exchange rate influence pricing when practically everything in aviation is first calculated in euros or dollars and then converted to local currency? If the fuel is cheaper in Sweden than it’s cheaper because of other reasons (supplier, taxes etc.) rather than exchange rate.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

LeSving wrote:

Bardufoss (ENDU), and perhaps Evenes (ENEV)?

ENEV reports no AVgas but I had missed ENDU. That is actually the second closest to ENSH (100NM) after ENBO (60NM), so depending on wx it may be a good choice.

Thanks!LeSving wrote:

But you have seriously long legs on that trip. What plane do you have?

Cessna P210, 118USG hence 1150nm theoretical with 90 mins reserve. In practice I would not venture such a long trip with “only” 90 mins reserve. I need some contingency fuel. The plan only works if I can upload fuel ;) and winds aloft play ball…

Fly310 wrote:

And make sure that you have BP Carnet Card for your trip
Check! Thx!

Fly310 wrote:

You can land at ESMS or ESME and live in Malmö or Lund

I had not considered it, but it may be an option on the outbound. On the return I have business to do in Denmark so I do have to stop there anyway.

Last Edited by Antonio at 24 Jul 07:40
Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message