Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Norwich International EGSH

Parking charges are payable to Saxon Air, but you do have the benefit of using their pristine tarmac and enjoying some decent coffee and refreshments in their lounge.

Other airports such as Gloucester have all of that, and I paid less to stop an entire long weekend there than the earlier poster paid for just an 8 hour stay at Norwich.

I know airports often don’t get a subsidy and have to make their living by the charges they levy, but some seem to be charging punitive rates almost to stop their aprons getting soiled by single engine aircraft.

Andreas IOM

Maybe it’s time to visit Norwich again. Hopefully it would be a positive report.

Norwich is a nice “city break”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alioth: I know where you are coming from having, during the last two weeks, had to fly into EHNX, EGMC and EGTE.

However, a re-read of my post may be helpful – landing fee £36.00 (£30 + vat), 8 hours parking charges after 2 hours free – 6hrs at £1.80 (£1.50 + vat) total £10.80 grand total £46.80 as explained by Fenland Flyer. Ergo: parking charges only of £10.80 are payable to Saxon Air (SA) not the landing fee.

So, what are you really receiving for paying that munificent fee to SA:
- 8 hours of secure parking for your aircraft
- direct access to the ‘outside world’, without having to pass security (vide Peter’s comments upon avoiding security)
- lounge with free hot / cold / alcoholic / non-alcoholic beverages and snacks
- free Wi-Fi access
- quality flight planning services
- within (albeit Class D) CAS

Sure there are plenty of cheaper options around – Gloucester has also received its own share of poor reviews so it’s not the be all and end all – and it’s one hell of a long walk to Norwich eh?

If I was flying VFR perhaps I’d also go to Seething, Shipdham or Old Buckenham et al, but suffer the hefty private hire fare to get into Norwich centre? No thanks.

Saxon Air are not charging punitive rates to keep their apron free and you can go elsewhere if you find paying £10.80 prohibitive for the facilities mentioned above but try parking a car in Norwich (or especially Cambridge) for 8 hours and see how much that will set you back!

I repeat, I have no pecuniary interest in Saxon Air but accusing them of levying punitive charges has no substance, at least not to me – it’s cheaper, cleaner and less smelly than an internet café and the view’s better too!

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message