Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

O2 question

as I am a VFR flyer and can in Germany not fly above 10k there is no real need for O2

but I do go maybe 10-20 times a year over the alps to lets say max 14k altitude I am thinking to carry some O2 with me (normaly 2 POB)
I did read Peters remarks on his HP
what would be a recommendation for a portable O2 system for my user profile for that requirement

thanks

fly2000

Many glider pilots I know recommend the Mountain High O2D2. If you don’t use it too often, I think a normal constant flow controller would be okay, though. I used this one for flight testing this year and it worked quite well, but 10-20 flights might be sufficient to invest in an O2D2. We carried a Pulseoxymeter and those emergency-bottles, too.

Last Edited by mh at 10 Jan 22:48
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

It really depends initially on your refill options, and the longest flight.

Is refills are easy, and you fly for say 1-3hrs max, then go for a nice small kit, constant flow. I recommend a composite cylinder because it’s way lighter. MH (no connection with “mh” here I believe ) sell these. Make sure you get one with a pressure gauge on the cylinder. Nowadays I would go for a cylinder with a DIN thread rather than the US 540 thread. Then a 1st stage reg, and an oxymiser cannula.

If refills are a hassle or you need more gas, then the best kit is what I now fly with: the MH “48 cu ft” cylinder, 1st stage reg with 1 or more outputs, one O2D2 regulator (there is a single output version, O2D1?), and the simple cannula.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I recently acquired a 47 cu In composite cylinder from Mountain High, with 470 thread after having determined that it could be refilled directly by local FBOs.

The cylinder IIRC weighs 2,5 kg.

I also got the 4 output 1st stage regulator and 2 O2D2.

You can get all this in a "pack, including the carrying bag.

It is not cheap, but at least IFR it is a “must have” to be able to fly comfortably in VMC and keep out of icing. For VFR I am not so sure it pays off, unless you go over the alps on a regular basis which is what the OP seems to indicate, especially here in France where anything above FL115 is off limits for VFR.

I bought 2 regulators mostly for redundancy.

LFPT, LFPN

Peter_Paul wrote:

VFR flyer and can in Germany not fly above 10k

Why not??

EDLE

thanks for the infos
for refilling can it be done with a diving air compressor or does it need to be medical O2

fly2000

I may start making sightseeing flights for a local group and will have to go in the Alps for some of the trips. The group has one O2 cylinder but I am not sure about the condition and I would prefer to have something of my own for my private use so the thread fits my requirements very well.

@mh, @Peter and @Aviathor: Do you have links to the parts you are mentioning so that we can see what they look like and maybe what they cost approximately?

Does anyone know what the requirements are if it is commercial operation in a small plane (C172, P28A)?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

europaxs wrote:

Why not??

because above 10k is only IFR just close to the alps vfr is up to 13k

fly2000

Sorry, but this is not correct. It’s airspace Charly and you need a clearance, that’s all.

EDLE

you are correct
the few times I tried to get clearance I had no luck

fly2000
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message