Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oban EGEO 14 August 2016

Agreed, the wx isn’t dreadful and if I were taking another pilot I would have gone anyway.

But we can absolutely bet that picture will be different by Saturday.

Which is why we’ll be taking advantage of the more predictable (and sunnier) weather elsewhere :)

Where do you source your synoptic chart forecasts? What model are they based on?

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

They are the UK Met Office ones you get from Avbrief. They appear on many websites (many past threads on this topic, concerning the apparent non-availability of the 0600 and 1800 versions from free websites) but often the ones presented there are not the most recent (naughty). Avbrief is the only site which presents them all, all latest, and all in the correct order.

This far out, they are largely fiction of course.

This is today’s version of the Saturday one I posted above

and this the Sunday

Looks damn good to me… well as “good” as you will get in Scotland

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The forecast is actually looking ok for this coming weekend. Actually, as good as last Sunday, where I stood in 70mph gales, driving horizontal rain, and some of the strangest cloud formation I have seen. We were sailing, and had to take shelter from, “the storm”. I will remind everyone, first week August

This was same storm that drove the oil rig ashore on Lewis. They probably also thought, early August might be a good bet.

Do you have a proposed date for this trip?

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Oban for lunch Sunday 14th August?

Administrator

@Peter, just a wee suggestion: if you’re going to Oban give them a call for an out of hours permit. Then you have more flexibility in case of mist, etc.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The plan is to collect Dublinpilot on the way, Saturday, so the flight would be from Weston EIWT and back there. We will fly around locally to get some pics. Wx looks very good on the MSLPs.

Administrator

Jacko wrote:

if you’re going to Oban give them a call for an out of hours permit

I didn’t know they would do that on the phone – their website seems to suggest the out-of-hours permit has to be applied for by post and also has a cost associated with it!

Andreas IOM

There’s a small charge for a weekend or holiday permit, but they’re helpful on the phone.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Due to the unseasonably poor weather, we cracked, and I am off to Lake Garda for a week this Saturday. Would love to grab lunch, later in August/September. They close at 5.15, local, and when you PPR I would ask them the deal. (+44 (0) 1631 572 910). You could get lunch in Oban, then go to Glenforsa for tea, and leave there when you want.If it goes ahead, have a great flight. The scenery is beautiful….enjoy

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I spoke to the airport this morning.

The plan is to fly over from EIWT Sunday morning, take some photos, land and have lunch etc, then take off and take more photos of the area, then fly back to EIWT. I think airborne pics will be best, in any reasonable time.

So if anyone wants to do a lunch…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message