Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oban EGEO 14 August 2016

Peter wrote:

Please enlighten us all, @Airborne_Again

Go to the easa web page (www.easa.europa.eu). Click “regulations”. Scroll to the section you want and click “Show regulations”. If there is an “easy access” document, that’s what you want as it is a consolidated version including the AMC/GM. If not, look for a “consolidated” document. Then you must look separately at the AMC/GM. If there is neither, then you have to look at the individual EU directives, which are listed.

This is essentially what I wrote already a year ago in the thread you referred to (except that there were no “easy access” documents at that time).

Of course you have to know what you are looking for (part-NCO, part-FCL etc.)

The problem is more understanding the individual regulations. In my experience, the more recent the better. Part-NCO is considerably better than part-FCL or part-M.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Would a single 4-person raft meet this regulation?

No, because it is not an “individual floatation device”.

I think you are looking in the wrong places…

Please enlighten us all, @Airborne_Again

A search for

where to find easa regs

found at least 3 past threads on this topic, none of which really answered the question!

I merged them into this one and maybe you can update that, with instructions on how to look for stuff to do with FCL, private operations, equipment carriage for VFR and IFR – all the usual stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Would a single 4-person raft meet this regulation?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I have no idea whether jackets or a raft are legally mandatory for private flying.

NCO.IDE.A.175 Flight over water
(a) The following aeroplanes shall be equipped with a life-jacket for each person on board, or equivalent individual floatation device for each person on board younger than 24 months, that shall be worn or stowed in a position that is readily accessible from the seat or berth of the person for whose use it is provided:
  (1) single-engined landplanes when:
    (i) flying over water beyond gliding distance from land; or
    (ii) taking off or landing at an aerodrome or operating site where, in the opinion of the pilot-in-command, the take-off or approach path is so disposed over water that there would be a likelihood of a ditching;
  (2) seaplanes operated over water; and
  (3) aeroplanes operated at a distance away from land where an emergency landing is possible greater than that corresponding to 30 minutes at normal cruising speed or 50 NM, whichever is less.
(b) Seaplanes […]
(c) The pilot-in-command of an aeroplane operated at a distance away from land where an emergency landing is possible greater than that corresponding to 30 minutes at normal cruising speed or 50 NM, whichever is the lesser, shall determine the risks to survival of the occupants of the aeroplane in the event of a ditching, based on which he/she shall determine the carriage of:
  (1) equipment for making the distress signals;
  (2) life-rafts in sufficient numbers to carry all persons on board, stowed so as to facilitate their ready use in emergency; and
  (3) life-saving equipment, to provide the means of sustaining life, as appropriate to the flight to be undertaken.
The regs change so often, are buried in 10,000 pages of stuff, and are stored on so many EU websites carrying different versions of each reg, that I have long given up trying to follow it
I think you are looking in the wrong places…

I have no idea whether jackets or a raft are legally mandatory for private flying. The regs change so often, are buried in 10,000 pages of stuff, and are stored on so many EU websites carrying different versions of each reg, that I have long given up trying to follow it

When I say it is mandatory I mean mandatory for survival should you ditch. At low level up there in Scotland you are out of VHF contact most of the time so you may not get picked up for hours or days by which time you will be fully bio-degraded by the antibiotics they put in the fish farms, never mind the fish themselves

I will put in a note about this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Administrator

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I would certainly agree with you there – if you have it why not use it?

very confident in my swimming skills :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

In summer I rarely take a life raft for longer stretches – probably dumb and maybe I should since I have one…

I would certainly agree with you there – if you have it why not use it?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Great report love the pictures and the narrative. Have never flown to Scotland but think I will now. One question, you mention you need a life raft for a 50NM stretch over open water, surely one only needs life jackets – the raft for non commercial ops is at the pilots discretion (believe the text says now if the PIC deems necessary). In summer I rarely take a life raft for longer stretches – probably dumb and maybe I should since I have one…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Great report Peter. Thanks for spending the time putting it all together.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message