Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oberpfaffenhofen EDMO

Im flying into EDMA tomorrow 04/11/15 and thought to use EDMO as an Alternate. Has anyone flown in there? Plan on being in the Munchen vicinity around 1400-1500 L. The next closest would be Landshut then finally EDMS. EDMO looks like a good one since its so close to the city.

KHTO, LHTL

You can not fly there. Only over 2000 kg or you need some link to the companies on site. I think Jason from the forum has been there with the 2,3t Meridian and he reported over 100 Euro in fees.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

EDMO is a “special” airport with strict PPR requirements…unfortunately, as it would make for an ideal GA/bizav airport for Munich.

As far as I know, they are not open to public traffic on the weekends. I’m not sure how that affects filing them as an alternate.

More here: Link

HighFly
EDDM

Thanks HighFly.

Does anyone have a link to the Real Estate development group who would like to close the airport? I think I would like to join.

No point having all that land under utilized. There just isnt enough of it here in Europe.

KHTO, LHTL

I think I would like to join.

I think that is not true there seem to be quite a number of companies with big budgets on this airport. So I think it will stay but they have a limited number of landing for noise reasons. They try to make the most of it by filling those slots with G650 instead of C152…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I think these rules sadly are the only thing keeping EDMO open. It is what it is. Wishing the airport closed is hardly constructive.

EGTK Oxford

C210 Flyer, the secret to dealing with this stuff is easy: Think Disneyland, and the ride is closed. It may reopen, or not, but not to worry. It doesn’t have to make sense to you. There are other rides that management is maintaining in operation, go forth and enjoy them. There are turnstiles at the exit so you know you’ve left, and you can come back any time you’re willing to pay the price of admission

I think these rules sadly are the only thing keeping EDMO open.

It is kind of a miracle that it was allowed to stay open at all after the previous owner Dornier (later Fairchild-Dornier) collapsed. It is right in the middle of one of the most sought after regions in Germany for living and working. The number of millionaires per square kilometer in the surroundings of Oberpfaffenhofen must be among the highest in Germany (just like Cannes in France). This means that the airport is not fighting the usual bunch of NIMBYs who bought cheap land close to an airfield only to discover why that land was so cheap. The neighbors of EDMO bought the most expensive land anywhere in Germany knowing that they have the power and connections and financial background to close it down whenever they like. Therefore we must really appreciate the bold verdict of the court that not only ruled against the closing of the field but also against the “home based airctaft only” rule that had existed there for a long time. The outcome could have been totally different if we look at close-by Fürstenfeldbruck.

EDDS - Stuttgart

It’s a pity … it would be close from home, it has an ILS … but there’s no chance, really! I could have become a member of their flying club and fly their Turbo Arrow from there, but no chance to base your own airplane there.

Ok Speaking about millionaires was the airport there before all these rich well connected people bought property in that region? I assume yes. So unless they use their political (read that to mean, payoff their politicians to vote their way) they should have no legal standing.

Somebody should do a study what is the psychology behind anti airport fervor in individuals. Except for school training there is very little small GA activity here in Europe. I was in Augsburg yesterday and noticed that most of the landings were the result of instruction. Now keep in mind that since the majority of the GA fleet had been moved away from other Munich airports and concentrated at a select few like Augsburg there really isnt a lot of traffic. That coupled with most of the newer airplanes being quieter than planes of yesteryear there should be less reason for people to complain of “noise”. There has to be another reason.

KHTO, LHTL
58 Posts
Sign in to add your message