Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Old FAA (piggyback) licence

Hi all,

New to this lovely forum (which I’ve been following account-less for quite some time) so before proceeding with my actual issue, perhaps a small introduction is in order:

In my mid 30s, from Belgium and flying a variety of nice little aircraft. Used to have an instrument rating but – unsurprisingly :-) – it proved too expensive to maintain currency AND proficiency in this regard. So after a while of flying recheck to recheck with barely no actual IFR flying in between, I decided it was time to let go. Not (really) regretted it.

Anyhow, here my problem:

In 2001, I was issued an FAA piggyback licence (the old cardboard one). I flew a good number of hours on N-reg aircraft that year, but none after that.

In the meantime, my address has changed, my licence number BXXXXXX (on which the piggyback was predicated) was converted to the EASA equivalent of BE.FCL.XXXXXX.A and the FAA has since long stopped issueing these old licences.

My question now is: is this old thing still valid? Can I update all my details and have a newer version sent to me? Or will I need to go through the process of requesting a new one and present myself at an FSDO in the US?

Any help is appreciated!

All the best!

G.

Last Edited by ThreePoint at 02 Jul 09:32

AFAIK the old cardboard ones are no longer valid. I managed to exchange mine with the new plastic one not long before that possibility expired. Even if it were, in order to convert you would need to go through the process of authenticating your Belgian license and visit a FSDO in the US, almost like an initial issue.

LFPT, LFPN

What Aviathor said.

The cardboard ones are no longer valid (and the licence number change would invalidate it anyway).

You need to go through the verification process again to get a new one.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

This may be one option – Adam House in the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

check this link your CAA might have the same agreement for a new licence number, no need to go whole process again.

LKKU, LKTB

Since your license number changed, your based on FAA license is no longer valid.

So you need to apply for a new based on license.

Since this problem affects all of Europe, IAOPA managed to get the concession from the FAA that the personal visit to the FSDO can be replaced by a personal visit to your own CAA.

So I now have the option to travel to Berne, which costs me a day, and pay $$$ (they want their “service” to look at your passport compensated even though they created the problem in the first place), or to do it for free and visit the nearest FSDO during my next trip to the US. I chose the latter.

Note this concession is limited until 18 october 2018.

LSZK, Switzerland

But to avail of that concession does your airmans certificate not need to be otherwise valid? A Cardboard one is invalid already for a number of years.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Since this problem affects all of Europe, IAOPA managed to get the concession from the FAA that the personal visit to the FSDO can be replaced by a personal visit to your own CAA.

This is true for the license number change, but not for obtaining the plastic license or an initial issuance. I went through the process of getting a new FAA license issued to correct the EASA license number last February. In my case I had to go all the way to Bodø. Would have been almost easier to go to a FSDO on the East Coast.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 02 Jul 11:38
LFPT, LFPN

Hi all,

Thank you for all the helpful responses.

So if I understand correctly, the fact that both my licence number has changed and that I still hold the old type of licence precludes me from being eligible for a simple replacement?

About Peter’s post, does this mean this Adam House is mandated to act as an FSDO and would make it possible to apply for a new 61.75 without the need to go all the way to the US to collect it?

Thank you.

3P,

I think your understanding is correct. But just be aware that the EU based DPE’s charge a lot for their services, compared to a FSDO which is free. So you are making a trip to the US specially to collect the licence and then return home, it’s probably worth paying the DPE. But if you plan to be in the USA anyway, then may be better to do it there.

dp

EIWT Weston, Ireland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message