Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Old Hay to Fenland return to Old Hay the scenic route in Mavis an Luscombe 8E

As I have not posted for awhile, I thought I would address this with a simple flight taken by an Ally Cat 5/5/14.

I took Mavis on her first longish trip with me as the commander. The more I fly her, the more delighted I am with her. She does everything I ask of her with little meanness. Before I started flying her I had read a lot on the web and the clear message I got was she could be twitchy and a little more mean spirited than the Cub for example? So far, touch wood, the reality for me has been a bit different.

Anyhow, onto the trip – a trip mainly with a picture commentary. I did stop off at one other place for fuel but have not mentioned that place as I am inclined not to stop off there again. The only fly in the ointment was that place. Nuff said.

Start up at Old Hay – I sooooooooo love the peace of strip flying. The first shortish leg I had an erratic GPS signal on the hand held and the panel mounted system. After that no more issues. Very grateful for my training in that I can switch from one mode of navigation to another with little fuss or stress. I have been passenger with some pilots that go into melt down when GPS stops working. Rather funny to watch. Oh, and the level of RT kept me entertained on the more mundane sections of the trip – truly marvellous.

Hanningfield Dam

A Selfie – I have a lot of sadness in my life at the moment so no cheesy grins – perhaps in hindsight it was too early to get back into the plane but in any event the trip was conducted safely and without any drama.

I really need to try getting the cockpit a bit better managed. Flying solo makes for hard work when it gets bumpy and things start to move around on their own – any suggestions welcomed.

A nice dragon

Newmarket race course near Cambridge

These canals intrigue me – just past Waterbeach

Mavis waiting to be fed at Fenland after a nice bit of cross wind practice. Using runway 18, wind variable 220 at 12kts. Ordinarily not a lot of wind for me but as a newbie Luscombe pilot, enough to keep me focused on the job at hand. No real drama even when she did try trick me at the latter end of the landing roll but my finger was way out and nipped that bit of shenanigans right in the bud. My only gripe was they could have let me know that pump 1 was not working so I had to manhandle her to pump 2.

Parked up while I went for a coke plus the Cessna equivalent of the L8 – what a beauty.

I liked Fenland – seems a very popular airfield. AG were pleasant, a nice café with lots of cakes etc. £5 landing fee into the honesty box, self service fuel which is a doddle to work. Will definitely use Fenland again.

Saw this sad sight parked there. Doubt she will fly again.

Airborne out of Fenland routing Easterly.

A few midgies to help with the excellent photography ?

The Canal feeding into The Wash near Kings Lynn

I think this is Great Massingham. I was not in reality, that close to it but I was fascinated by the two aircraft on this huge field.

Monewden – I believe. I stand corrected. This airfield and Nayland seem to have a reputation of dragons living there but they seemed ok looking at them from the air. There were two Cessna types parked at Monewden, just out of screen shot.

Ipswitch

Malden – but I could be wrong plus a picture of a swimming pool. It was a beacon surrounded by the drab colours.

A bit of sun through the roof. Nearly had a Falco (I think) land on me.

My preferred method of flying. Hehe. I already have a reputation at one of the fields as the “flying sockman”.

Basildon – the sign amused me. Do you think that was put there pre GPS days for IFR pilots.
?

A view of the Thames.

Home – nothing beats the view, the ticking of the cooling engine and the wind down of the electrics. Peace.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Bloomer thank you for posting, very enjoyable.

Luscombes are lovely to fly, but don’t spread the word that their twitchiness is exaggerated – the flying controls just happen to be nicely responsive.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Great report

Re ‘cockpit organization’, the GPS, iPhone or whatever works well on a Luscombe when RAM suction cup mounted on the lower left corner of the windscreen, pointed at the pilot. I use a kneeboard too, but a small one with small sheets of paper. Anything more fouls the stick for me.

Thank you for the kind replies.

Silvaire, your are right, I do need a suction thingy. It will help reduce the clutter and keep it in one place. I have just been a bit lazy re this. I took the 235 to North Coates and Sandthoft a few weeks back and the turbulence was rather sporting to say the least and again being solo, trying to hang onto everything was a challenge in itself. Regarding the kneepad, I stupidly had it still in 235 mode hence he flappy bits getting in the way. Sorted it out when I got to Fenland and life in the Mavis cockpit improved dramatically. I will also see how to best get smaller paper plogs. Scissors may be my friend here.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

The canals in picture number 7 are there to take the water out of the fens and the area between them is part of the flood plain for that area.

UK, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message