Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Open airfields in England/Wales for day-trip?

Hello people,

I’m planning on flying on the weekend, Saturday and/or Sunday, from Central England to anywhere that’s within 1 or 2 hours flight time of a PA28.

I’m asking where to go because I’d like to stop somewhere where I can stretch my legs and possibly have a coffee or something to eat before heading back. Is this even possible these days?

I was thinking of places like: EGCK, EGFE, EGFA, EGHQ, EGFH, EGNH…
Somewhere where landing fees are cheap/reasonable. It’s a plus if there are instrument approaches available for practice.

Anybody can recommend somewhere to go?

EDDW, Germany

We were pleasantly surprised at Leeds East EGCM the other day. For a place with such huge tarmac runways it’s a friendly, well-kept and well run airfield – with a decent and welcoming take-away cafe. The north-south runway was notamed closed due to an alleged “obstacle”, but nobody objected to a couple of bushplanes using it. And of course, it’s in God’s county.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Shoreham EGKA, my base, is actually very good. Walkable (no taxi or bus needed) in 16 mins to the old town for takeaway food, a nice walk along the riverboats. It also has a takeaway stand selling drinks and stuff, which I haven’t tested yet (might do today).

Has approaches but not (usually) an approach controller so you own-navigate them and report on long final. Works superbly.

I am happy to meet anyone there, though I have to be at work on weekday afternoons.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the record, Thruxton EGHO is open as usual, so too is Popham EGHP. Both have fuel, and Popham’s cafe serves light snacks until 4pm, but they are VFR only.

Oxford and Gloucestershire have been open throughout. If you dont want to stop at either you could just shoot and approach on the way further south.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thanks for all the comments! I’m adding them all to the “want to go” list.

Peter wrote:

Shoreham EGKA

EGKA seems like what I am looking for as it also has the RNP approaches (steep final descent!).

I will let you know if do go, probably on Sunday.

EDDW, Germany
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message