Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Operating an FAA experimental type (VFR) in Europe on N reg

There is an N reg experimental based at a UK airfield.
AIUI one is supposed to obtain written permission to operate and there’s a time limit but this a/c has been there for a couple of years.
I’m not going to name the airfield just in case……………
I own a Falco that used to be N reg but it was ferried over here and we transferred it to UK LAA without too much drama.
Why not do that?

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 22 Jan 00:00
Forever learning
EGTB

You can indefinitely station an N-reg experimental in Germany. Every year you will get a permit for 12 months. There was some confusion last year but it was sorted out quickly. There are a lot of N-reg experimentals in Germany. The ECAC treaty allows you to fly this experimental throughout Europe (ECAC member states so a bit more than just Europe).

The only issue is no legal way to fly IFR. However, it is being done…

Thank you for the information. It all sounds about more complicated than I first thought, so maybe it’s a better idea to buy one already on a European register.

sorry, it went off while I was cleani...
not in UK

Achimha, the ECAC treaty only applies to European registered amateur built aircraft. N registered will have to apply for each occasion that they fly to another country. Standing agreements only apply to Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas.

I doubt that the rules are policed effectively and maybe the owners are breaking them out of ignorance, but that doesn’t make it legitimate.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

It is ECAC Recommendation INT.S/11-1 that member states accept home-built aircarft issued by another Member State without any restriction.
Couries are Austria, Denmark, Finland,, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, UK who have implemented it.
and probaly Belgium, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Latvia Lithuenia and Estonia do not restrict visits in airspace or airstrips.

Matti
EFHV

Im reviving this thread, as I have some questions regarding Experimental aircrafts in Europe and the laws around it.

If I understand correctly from the thread above, any Experimental with an European registration, can roam around Europe without any bureaucratic BS!?

Must a Experimental be reg’ed in the same country as where the owner lives, or where the aircraft will be based?(Important, as I live in one country, but have the airport just across the border. Nationals from this country will fly the aircraft too. VAT issue really)

Espen

spirit49
LOIH

Please do a search on

homebuilts

We have had many threads on this recently One from today is here

Europe doesn’t have an Experimental category as such, AFAIK. That is an American one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Europe doesn’t have an Experimental category as such, AFAIK. That is an American one.

EASA doesn’t have an experimental category. Several countries in Europe have a separate experimental category.

EASA have VLA, ELA1 and ELA2 and maybe some quasi LSA? VLA I understand, but this ELA1 and ELA2 and this European “LSA” (if it exist) I don’t grasp exactly what they are. Then there is Annex II which is entirely left to each state to decide.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Im about to buy a RV-4 restoration project. On Norwegian register.
Plan is to rebuild it over the next couple of years.

But being a Norwegian citizen, resident in Switzerland (where I will rebuild it), operation out of an Austrian airport, is a BIG can of worms.

Initially I won’t touch country of registration(will leave it on LN-reg), but deciding how to solve the VAT issue is a bit hard to figure out.
Since it will be (eventually) hangared and operated out of the EU, I will have to pay VAT + duty tax (7,8%) in the EU, and probably 8%VAT in Switzerland since I will do the restoration there)
VAT is already paid in Norway.
Good I didn’t pay much for the “wreck”

Next question will be where it is best to have it reg’ed when its ready to fly again.
Will have to check yearly fees in Germany/Austria/Switzerland vs Norway. Some hefty fees in Norway.
Im a spoiled N-reg owner

spirit49
LOIH

Just because you’re rebuilding it in Switzerland, does that mean you have to register it in Switzerland?
If VAT is paid in Norway then it is paid in Europe. Surely if you are going to operate out of an Austrian airport you should register it there?
I f you register in in Switzerland you’ll probably have to pay tax on its potential rental income too………………….

Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message