Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ostend EBOS G.A. upgraded facilities (terminal, bikes, etc)

Since june, an FBO started up on the G.A. Apron 3: North Sea Aviation Center (or NSAC for short).
There’ s a brand new G.A. terminal and new hangar constructed next to the renovated existing big hangar. They still work on the finishing touch.

It should be possible from now on, to carry out immigration formalities on site (Apron 3): on condition you email your id details on forehand to the Federal police immigration unit, they come over to the G.A. apron. This avoiding to go to the main terminal on apron 2, which is more strict regarding security (= screening…) and thus time consuming.

The intention is, that G.A. users will not have to go any more to the main terminal for entry or exit, but go directly to the entrance at the G.A. Apron. Disadvantage, is the less frequent bus service over there. Upon request , taxis of course available.

Bicycles are now offered for rent as well with NSAC.
A restaurant is available , “Runway 26-08”. The local flying clubhouse with terrace (Noordzee Vliegclub) is also within reach (open weekends).

Payment of landing charges is with NSAC now. Below 2T MTOW , handling is still not mandatory, above that it’s mandatory.

More info at http://www.nsac.aero and the airport website http://www.ostendairport.aero , with an up to date downloadable information sheet on that last one. (section General Aviation)

Wim
EBOS, Belgium

Fantastic!

EGSX North Weald, United Kingdom

Do you have the rates for SEP hangarage, per night?

Which email address for informing police/customs?

Main terminal still has a) main bus stop, b) rental car counters, c) restaurant, so I guess most people will still have to go there. In that case, does one then have to walk there landside? Or will it still be possible to get transported there by airside bus? Same charges in that case?

Is there no security screening at all when you want to get airside via the GAC?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jul 14:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The latest rates you can find here: Ostend Airport website General Aviation
For hangarage, rates / availability, it’s best to contact NSAC directly: [email protected]

Address for Immigration (= Federal Police airport unit ) : [email protected] (GAR, GENDECs, etc) → all this info you can find on the pilot brief from the airport website.

In the near future, it will be the intention to fully segregate G.A. traffic from the scheduled commercial traffic, because those security requirements are more stringent.
So yes, entry / exit at the G.A. Apron 3 entrance (=NSAC terminal) is without screening, only an id check.
Airport has been talking to the public bus company, to look into the option of increasing the frequency at the Apron 3 bus stop. I need to check, but now, only 1 per hour. Whereas at the main terminal , the frequency is at least 4/hour average. So still a point to work on.

AVIS offer cars via the website for Ostend Airport, however not a manned office at the airport. NSAC can offer as well rental cars.

Wim
EBOS, Belgium

NSAC has a portal, where they expect you to input your flight details etc. See their website,

Wim
EBOS, Belgium

That‘s what else I wanted to ask: my understanding is that, in general, using the airport still is not PPR (or doesn‘t require any preadvice), right? Or not? What do you therefore mean by „expect“?

And even if you did not customs, from your first post, I gathered that you could still come unannounced, and then „clear“ customs at the main terminal. No?

Sorry for the insistence, but these things are likely of the highest interest for most of the readers.

In fact, I didn‘t quite understand the correlation between preadvising customs and being able to „clear“ customs right at the GAC. I mean, pilots will in any case not be able to tell them to the minute which time they will arrive. So, it should make any difference if doing that or having them called over by the GAC staff after landing, no?

Oh, by the way, given the landing fee of 20€, as a real 24/7 airport, it looks very attractive for night flying, even in the middle of summer, no? Or will there by nighttime surcharges?

Thanks a lot!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A PNR requirement and loss of access to the terminal facilities (bus, cash machine) are significant negatives.

Last Edited by Mark_B at 08 Jul 17:10
EGCJ, United Kingdom

The airport still not PPR, as are immigration.
Like before june 2019 it was the same. You needn’t request prior notice, but it was appreciated to send a ‘headsup’ to the airport, to facilitate your transit (especially for short immigration stops). The basic principle remains the same.

Some background: the federal police will have a dedicated booth at the NSAC G.A. terminal: but this is for the moment not yet operational. So, if they receive the ID data on forehand, they can process this in the computers at the main office in the passenger terminal. They only thing they need to do then, is verify physically the passports and number of persons at apron 3, so they can crosscheck this with the received details you’ve sent them before.
So if you were not able to transmit your details on forehand, you still can show up of course, but you need to go to the main office (still free shuttle with marshaller) but this requires a mandatory security check before entering the commercial flights zone. And like stated above, this is more time consuming.
Once the booth is fully operational (august???), they will be able to process all this in the GA terminal . So in fact you won’t need to send this on forehand anymore.

If you’re flying to/from a Schengen member country, all these immigration formalities are of course not applicable !

I hope this helps,

Appreciate your feedback (pros/cons) on this, as we can address it to the management.
We’ll try to address the cash machine issue as well (in fact there’s neither one at the main terminal)

Last Edited by Wim at 08 Jul 17:52
Wim
EBOS, Belgium

Regarding nightflying: night surcharge apply from 2200LT till 0700LT ! Which is 100euro for landing and take-off… but the airport is open 24H/7.

Wim
EBOS, Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

And even if you did not customs, from your first post, I gathered that you could still come unannounced, and then „clear“ customs at the main terminal. No?

Sorry for the insistence, but these things are likely of the highest interest for most of the readers.

I was there last week from the UK and the system described by Wim was not yet up and running, we cleared immigration as usual at the main terminal then came back and
exited through NSAC, all very easy and even offered a free coffee.

Mark_B wrote:

A PNR requirement and loss of access to the terminal facilities (bus, cash machine) are significant negatives.

If you file a FP from the UK thats PNR done, as Wim says you can now forget the bus and hire some bikes and cycle along the front into town and if necessary get some cash out there.

As always, great airfield, everyone friendly and all at a reasonable price

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message