Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Others towing gliders?

OK, “more threads”. I have wondered how many others here tow gliders, and what tow plane do you use?

I started towing in a Pawnee, and used a 150 HP Super Cub every now and then. 3 years ago we changed to a WT-9 Dynamic (modified with a big bore Rotax, 120 HP)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Not flown the tug, but from the right end of the rope, I’ve been towed by Pawnee’s, Super Cub and Super Monks.

Here I am being towed in my Oly2b by a Pawnee a few years ago.

Did it for many years app 200h PA25 some PA18, Rallye, PA28. Part owner/builder of a MCR r100 with Rotax 914 a couple of years. Drifted into flying skydivers, IR, CPL etc. Actually spent an easter flying PAC out of enop a couple of years ago. Nice place :)

ESG..., Sweden

I tow gliders with my Auster, which was refitted in the 1990s with an O-320. I used to tow with Pawnees when I was living in Houston (180hp Pawnee at the Soaring Club of Houston, or if it was a busy day, there was a 235hp Pawnee – the 180 was preferred as it was much better on fuel). I was signed off for towing in a Cessna 182 at Coulter field (about an hour north of Houston). Unfortunately someone crashed the 180 Pawnee when they ran out of fuel and managed to spin in – they walked away from spinning in which shows you how robust the Pawnee airframe is.

Andreas IOM

I used to between 1996 and ~2006 in a DR400-180 for about 150 hrs. Later, the club sold the towplane and set up a sharing arrangement with one of the other clubs on the field. Unfortunately this plane was destroyed soon afterwards in a very sad fatal accident (accident report in German only) and since then the club has reverted to 100% winch launch (and I moved to another region anyway).

Friedrichshafen EDNY

I used to tow gliders with a DR400, PA18 and MS294

United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

they walked away from spinning in which shows you how robust the Pawnee airframe is.

Agree, farm equipment with wings :)

ESG..., Sweden

mcrdriver wrote:

Actually spent an easter flying PAC out of enop a couple of years ago

I Haven’t been there in the Easter the last 2.3 years, but this PAC was there in 2013. Really cool aircraft.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hm brings back some memories. IIRC the place was owned by one of norways most wealthy persons and it was discussed to extend the runway because he wanted to be able to cross the atlantic directly from enop. Yes the pac is pretty cool long hood with a big engine up front :) Basically a work horse as much as the Pawnee, gets 16 jumpers to 4000 m in 16-17 minutes. Loads more than its empty weight so pretty efficient.

ESG..., Sweden
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message