Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Over ten grand on a GTN-650

Noe wrote:

It is a consequence of European ripoff copyright policies on mapdata that so many of us fly with tablets to supplement navigation etc.
So how come the US are big users of tablets too?

Yes I don’t understand this. iPads are used because they are more easily updated, software can be improved much faster and they have better screens. I don’t see how mapdata has anything to do with it…

EGTK Oxford

Crap VFR mapdata for Europe, on all panel mount boxes. The old King KMD550 etc were the least bad in that respect.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What’s missing to make them useful?

EGTF, LFTF

@Peter

I meant the last 200’ above DA, in other words, the bit between LNAV and LPV minima.

I am sorry that wasn’t blindingly obvious.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Too much ouzo…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One argument against putting in older boxes is the labor component of cost.

Tököl LHTL

Except a new antenna (that is not always necessary) there is almost no labour cost from a 430 to a 430W.

Yeah, but I’m talking about “from scratch” decision making, not 430 to W. I looked seriously at putting in used boxes, but in the end decided to upgrade to new am doing so gradually.

Tököl LHTL

I’m lucky – my labour cost is £0.

I measured up my panel in great detail yesterday. I had hoped to squeeze a GTN650/IFD440 in just above the glass panel. It’s about 3mm short of space. So this means i need to move the three glass panels down by 3mm, and then shuffle a few bits around too. So the project is now confirmed as needing a new panel in order to achieve this. I’m glad i have the whole thing on CAD, so i can just get my CNC machine out of retirement and cut a new panel.

It’s a winter job, going to take a while! Big jobs are:

-Cutting new panel
-Moving some of the connections around
-Running new antenna cables to the back (big job)
-Finding somewhere to put a NAV antenna. Could be VStab or could be those blade ones somewhere else (preferable)

As of yesterday I completed my first mod – a secondary alternator, battery and bus. This is just waiting signoff, then i can plan the new GPS.

Meanwhile this all supports my grand plan of Class 2 Medical, PPL, IR at the same time as the RV-10 being IFR certified. One step at a time – I have an exercise ECG next week.

EGKL, United Kingdom

Alexis wrote:

Except a new antenna (that is not always necessary)

Under what circumstances is it not necessary?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message