Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Owning more than one plane

Peter wrote:

The problem is that the Vision has enough range for most European flying only if carrying 1 person and luggage.

Geez, if you really think that, well what about N America or Australia ?

Seriously, 900NM seems to be very well suited to flying Western Europe, particularly if based in Switzerland !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

alioth wrote:

I thought this had been fixed – that it was some interpretation by a bureaucrat somewhere, and EASA had confirmed that this was NOT the case, and annex II aircraft were fine for currency requirements.

To my knowledge, nothing has been fixed yet, but there are rumours that the there will be some concessions along the following lines:

Training and experience on aircraft not subject to this Regulation may be recognised for the purpose of obtaining the pilot licence referred to in paragraph 2, in accordance with the implementing measures adopted pursuant to Article 21a.

Note, however, that this only talk about obtaining a license, not maintaining it.

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

loco wrote:

Roughly these are the reasons why I think „why bother” rather than „why not”.

If you have a TBM then indeed why bother. It is the much more capable plane. Please keep in mind, this thing is not considered a downgrade for TBM or Citation owners but a step up from the SR22.

loco wrote:

At about 2:40 owner says 590NM with family is possible only if wind permits.

Hmm well as I said, they should publish the POH so we don’t have to continue guessing.

He sais he goes Biggin – Cannes with 3-4 adults and a couple of kids! That is full house pretty much. I was talking of 2 adults @ 100 kg and 2 kids of 50 kgs including baggage. 1 pax with baggage means 36 gallons of fuel less. With a consumption of between 50 and 70 GPH, that is serious range, in between 130-250 NM range loss per person.

Then again, Biggin-Cannes is pretty much what this plane was designed for.

Noisy, that is indeed something to be considered. Yes, a Jet should not be noisy, but with the engine practically in the cabin it is no real surprise.

Well, maybe once the first owner’s wifes have found out they are limited with baggage more than in the SR22 then some of them may well end up on the market real fast. But I hear there are some second hand Transalls coming to the market soon :)

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 25 Nov 16:14
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If you can afford owning turboprop and piston aircraft then the money is not the problem but the currency could be. I owned three aircrafts at the same time (luckily shortly ) TB20, C-172 and DA42 (while owning flight school, again luckily not for too long). And however similar (C-172 and DA42 with G1000, TB20 and D42 similar speeds, both full TKS equipped, C172 and TB20 flying with yoke) it wasn’t easy to switch from one to another. I can imagine difference between TB20 and TBM910. And I wouldn’t survive owning TBM and flying TB to short trip and suddenly on a way back find myself in a weather easily handled by TBM and being big issue for TB.

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Nov 00:36
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Bathman wrote:

Actually as someone who owns a rotax powered permit aircraft and a certified aircraft I find it very frustrating. The permit aeroplane is so much more reliable and cheaper to run.

Sooooo true.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

EuroFlyer wrote:

We have the discussion in Germany at full blast right now, because Friedrich Merz, a candidate for leader of the conservative party is a successful businessman and lawyer and owns a TBM 850 and a DA62, and the liberals and the left go ballistic trying to smear him for that. In fact he owns the TBM in an SPV and rents it to his company. Normal procedure. But Germans like to point the finger at others instead of themselves when it comes to who is more successful and why, so it was to be expected.

I wanted to tell the story of Herr Merz as well, as it is a case in point of the (negative) social consequences of owning two planes. I didn’t know what kind of planes he owned, despite googling it. He also has a PPL though I don’t know if he’s qualified for both of his planes.
Non-German readers not interested in the peculiarities of German politics might take note because Merz has a chance to succeed Merkel as CDU party leader and thus eventually German chancellor, although the leftist press are trying their best to discredit him, also explicitly using the argument “He owns two private planes so he is too rich to be trusted”. Note that The Guardian in the UK mistranslated this as “two private jets” despite the German press never mentioning the kind of planes as far as I read.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

It would be great to have an aircraft that can drop into the fly-ins and the free time to justify owning it. An early straight tail 182 keeps coming up as the best all rounder for this mission – converting it to tailwheel would get me a pristine 180 at a reasonable price.

This is a nice example which is gently dropping in price in classic reverse auction, better get real about selling it, mode.

www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=38609 local copy

It also has original long range tank option in the back.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

If I could afford it, I’d own a PC12 and a Piper Cub. Sadly, short of winning the lottery, the prospect for this scenario to materialize is zero….

“If I could afford it, I’d own a PC12 and a Piper Cub.”
From watching them on a grass airfield, the PC12 would be for short runways, and the Cub would be for longer runways which are too soft

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

it is a case in point of the (negative) social consequences of owning two planes

You don’t need two to suffer social consequences if there are malicious people around you. Merz is a politician and a red flag for any left wing politician because he is self made rich and very successful. They hate that. They use the planes as it’s known to be an easy target, if he didn’t have those they would simply bemoan the fact that he makes one million a year (self declared). Rich=evil.

But airplane allergics are found even if you have a 60 year old SEP as I know darn well myself. I’ve been accused of all sorts of things when I first bought my current plane from being a rich chauvinist to one vocally and openly expressing the wish that I’d buy the farm in it as soon as possible. Do you wonder why most celebrities who fly in Europe keep it under strict wraps? There are no Harrison Fords or John Travoltas over here who would support AOPA and engage their well known personalities for that cause.

It would be fun to have a chancellor who knows GA in Germany. I imagine this could make some stomache trouble in quite some places…. But whether he’d do something for GA once in office remains to be seen. Thinking of it, in his position I’d probably never consider going that path. Too much to give up for a life of stress and open hostility. That is why somehow I also wonder why Trump did it. Yea, power, I know but freedom is also something I’d value.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message