Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen generators

I bought it after reading this thread and searching a bit. There wasn’t much info that I could find on the web, so it was a risky decision. I thought that if they work in airliners, then they’ll also work at FL100 where oxygen is not mandatory, but makes a big difference in comfort. Now it seems that they work just fine at higher altitudes.
I’ve only done one flight, so not much practical info yet. It has flow settings of 1-6 and I used it at 3.

LPFR, Poland

Great to hear first hand user info.

The Inogen product is mentioned in the first post in this thread and 18000ft was mentioned there.

That URL now leads to the G3 which claims 15000ft so not as good as the G2

They still offer the G2 here and in their shop

It would also be great to find out what the G2 does above 18000ft. Does it degrade progressively, or does something drastic happen? Or have they just picked 18000ft because they found that figure in the FAA regs on installed o2 gear requiring masks? How much current does the G2 draw?

The older “milspec” Sequal units, which used to crop up on Ebay, mostly with dubious looking sellers who looked like they removed them from some medical facility (one I contacted was very “carefully un-communicative”, and required payment to an Italian bank, only) seem much bulkier and definitely didn’t have a demand regulator.

Also I wonder whether one can get or construct an oxygen compressor for refilling oxygen cylinders out of one of these oxygen generators. It would be brilliant to not have to get refills. The oxygen would be 90% pure instead of 99.9% pure, but does it matter? You would need to get the moisture out, for corrosion / icing reasons. And if the refill takes all night, who cares? The power and size of a compressor is according to the required flow rate…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have seen the inogenaviator.com website and I’m not sure what exactly it is.
They’re not Inogen (website is inogen.com). They sell their product with “aviator” suffix. Do they modify Inogen products? Do they put an “aviator” sticker on them?
Inogen products are to be used up to 3km, “aviator” up to 18,000ft?
I don’t want to say that it’s a scam, but I’d be cautious.

Last Edited by loco at 14 Nov 14:11
LPFR, Poland

It’s called “marketing”

No different to disabling some software features and selling the box at a lower price.

Or advertising the same company in a local directory under several different names.

Administrator

Inogen is established. And this aviator model is great news. I’m going to buy one and install in my little cabinet behind the pilots seat, wired up. That way I can go all the way to FL250 at night and not worry about being O2 deficient. Get one of those cool looking masks the jets have that hang on the wall behind the pilots seat.

Well, I guess it can be confirmed if Windblade Corp. is a subsidiary of Inogen or a bunch of guys like you and me, reselling Inogen products under a different name.

The portable power supply says 15V, 10A. Sticker on the generator says 90W.

Last Edited by loco at 14 Nov 17:43
LPFR, Poland

IMHO these generators are a good idea for a solo pilot, but as soon as you have to run 2 3 or 4 of them…? That big German one discussed here before is then the way to go, but it costs a lot more.

90W is OK.

Administrator

I agree. I flying alone a lot, then one of these generators plus oxyarms would make it a great experience and make pressurization almost obsolete.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Nov 18:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

But you still need to carry a gas cylinder as a backup – unless flying only on the margin e.g. FL100.

That cylinder could then be used for passengers. In which case the cylinder can’t just be a little one… Unless you can keep it in the hangar and put it in the plane only if carrying passengers at oxygen levels.

The end result could be that you need a lot fewer refills.

But the purchase price of this generator, probably €2500 by the time you import it and pay the taxes, etc, would pay for an awful lot of refills.

Does anyone know about the compressor question? It would need to achieve 150 bar.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message