Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxymizer / Oxysaver

I am thinking about getting new cannulas. My current ones are getting really old. They are usually stowed away in the seatback pocket and they look quite opaque now and I actually can’t exclude they are leaking.

Any opinions on the comfort of the mustache style vs. the pendant style?

Any difference between Aerox (“Oxysaver”) and Mountain High (Oxymizer)?

Which is the best (read: cheapest) source in Europe?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Sorry, I cannot offer any advise on Oxysaver vs. Oxymizer as I use a Mountain High O2D2 Pulse Demand system with standard cannulas.

The standard cannulas, FWIW, can be bought for less than a Euro in any medical supplies store vs. the EUR 10 per cannula which pilot supplies stores demand.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

boscomantico/ RXH,
can I use the standard cannulas that came ith the Mountain High Portable O2 system with the O2D2 system?

I would absolutely recommend the MH O2D2 system, which uses simple cannulas.

It outclasses everything else by such a huge margin.

I have recently updated my original article, at the very end of it. The CFFC-048 also represents the best value and the most practical cylinder.

Those also happen to be probably the cheapest cannulas one can buy, which is relevant if flying with varied passengers. You “lose” a cannula for each passenger, though you can keep it in a bag with their name on it – in case they fly with you again, and maybe after a year you chuck it out, or wash it out with alcohol if trying to save money

The remaining question (which one pilot emailed me about only yesterday) is whether to go for CGA-540 or DIN threads (on the cylinder and 1st stage regulator). My view is that both work the same if you make up your own refill hose (like the one described in my article) and keep a big refilling cylinder at home, while the DIN option gives you a more usable scuba shop refill option. However I have had so little success with scuba shops in recent years that I can’t speak for the latter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, I’ll buy that O2D2 system soon. What’s the best source? Probably same price everywhere …

I knew this would turn into a discussion about the O2D2…

I won’t buy it, because a) it’s too bloody expensive b) I don’t fly at oxygen levels very often c) I can refill my bottle for 20 Euros a pop, close to home.

Any replies on the oxygen saving cannulas?

In Munich I’d pay € 70 ….
But, yes, it is damn expensive… and I’ve bought so many toys this year (I get nothing for christmas) ….

The moustache cannulas will outperform the non-reservoir cannulas by 2x to 3x – reference

I am not aware of any “reservoir” cannulas other than the moustache style. Are there any?

With a mask, you have a reservoir on the inlet pipe (a big plastic bag).

But if you don’t care about the gas flow at all, just buy straight cannulas on Ebay or Amazon. A big % of the modern Western population is on oxygen The flow rate is eye watering though.

Last Edited by Peter at 29 Nov 12:33
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course I do care about the gas flow, which is why I use oxygen saving cannulas.

These are the pendant style ones. Probably not much difference in terms of comfort though, so I’ll stick with the mustache ones.

Alexis: Obviously, 20 Euros at the local gas shop, not at the Service Centre…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Nov 13:17

can I use the standard cannulas that came ith the Mountain High Portable O2 system with the O2D2 system?

Looking at the MH-website, I should think so.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message