Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PBN on Tecnam P2010 w/G500 and GTN650

10 Posts

Hello,

We have in our flight club/ATO a 2016 Tecnam P2010 purchased from the factory with Garmin G500 & GTN650.

The GTN is fully PBN compliant, however there is no mention in the AFM of PBN capability.

Can we use the equipment to fly PBN or would it be a solution to use the FAA AFM supplement found on the Garmin website combined with the EASA AFM supplement that approves the FAA AFMS.

We have contacted Tecnam but they are not very helpful.

Thank you,
Ilias

BIRK, Iceland

iliasm wrote:

Can we use the equipment to fly PBN
Maybe. The PBN capability does not necessarily have to be in the AFM. GM1 to NCO.IDE.A.195 states acceptable sources of this information.
or would it be a solution to use the FAA AFM supplement found on the Garmin website combined with the EASA AFM supplement that approves the FAA AFMS.
Probably not. These AFMS only apply to installations made in accordance with Garmin’s STC. It is conceivable that you can get a shop to certify that the installation is in accordance with that STC and then you could use the AFMS.

It seems very strange that the manufacturer is not interested in providing this information. But if they won’t, I would contact an avionics shop and ask them for help.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Garmin STC is only for those aircraft that Garmin quote in the back of the installation manual.

A_and_C wrote:

The Garmin STC is only for those aircraft that Garmin quote in the back of the installation manual.

It is for those aircraft listed in the AML. There is no list of approved aircraft in the installation manual.

Anyway, unfortunately the Tecnam P2010 is not in the AML. (However, the P2006T is…!)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thank you both for your answers.

It is very strange indeed that Tecnam sells the aircraft as IFR equipped with the mentioned equipment without any AFM supplement regarding the GTN. They do provide though a supplement for the G1000 with autopilot where they mention RNAV/RNP eligibility.

It is as they did not bother to seek EASA certification for the PBN functions of the G500/GTN650 combination, yet they sell the aircraft as IFR capable limiting it to old school ILS/LLZ/VOR.

There must be a way to solve this without having to spend a ton of money. I mean the equipment is installed by the factory and I assume the installation is according to the Garmin STC or similar document.

Tecnam has now stopped selling the P2010 with the G500 and only provides the aircraft with G1000 NXi.

Last Edited by iliasm at 17 Oct 15:41
BIRK, Iceland

For a 2016 aircraft that is really poor.

It plays on peoples’ lack of knowledge of this difficult and tedious area. If you were an avionics installer, you could install boxes all day long on this basis and most people would never notice.

It could have been worse… you could have got a BRNAV-only-IFR setup

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oh boy, what a process you went through

So Peter, do you think that finding an N registered P2010 with G500/GTN650 and getting its 337 form would possibly pave the way for using the Garmin FAA & EASA AFMS ?

Do you perhaps see another solution to our predicament.

Regards.

BIRK, Iceland

@ncyankee would know the detail but AFAIK yes that should work. A G500 and a GTN comes with an AML STC and even though the P2010 is not (?) on that STC list, you can use the STC contents (not the STC number, bizzarely) as approved data for a Field Approval.

Basically, AIUI, you want the same AFMS for the P2010 as already comes in the Garmin AML STCs for most other airframes.

The one current contact I have in the US for doing these is Robert Takacs

He did the FA for my B&C backup alternator, for what I thought was a reasonable fee. He is willing to have a go at a FA for anyone or anything.

Higher up the complexity scale I have another contact who is an in-house DER/DAR in a US company which does complex STCs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@iliasm, what is your overall experience with the P2010 in a flight school/club? We´re in the process of renewing our fleet, our PA28 Archer III has to go after more than 7000hrs, and the P2010 is a contender. However there is little real world experience we could rely on, there are not yet that many around. The performance sheet and the few pilot magazine reports sound great however, I bet with the IO-390 it would be quite a capable, yet simple airplane.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

@Caba, the P2010 is a pleasant aircraft with good passenger access and a reasonably stable platform for IFR flying. However with the IO-360 its take-off and climb performance is nothing to write home about and the constant speed prop option would definitely be an improvement (ours is fixed pitch). I’m sure the IO-390 is a much better choice. Just be sure to get an aircraft with G1000 and autopilot if you plan on flying PBN as that is the only option certified by Tecnam.

Let me know if you would like me to send you the AFM.

BIRK, Iceland
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message