Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PC12 lands at closed RAF base because pilot “wanted to visit the beach”

I have so many questions and no answers. Someone flew their PC12 (presumably Single pilot) from Fairoaks to RAF Valley, which was closed for maintenance, because they wanted to visit the beach. They allegedly learned of the existence of RAF valley on google earth and read on Wikipedia that it accepted civilian traffic.

Coronavirus: Pilot flew to Anglesey ‘to go to the beach’ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52849560

Can anybody find the report that is mentioned in the article?

Last Edited by NinerEchoPapa at 29 May 16:13
EDLN/EDLF, Germany

I got this from someone who found it in FB

Predictably, the pilot is being dismembered on the UK chat sites but I strongly suspect this is not the whole story – especially not the one from the BBC

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes there is more to it, the landing fee there is +250£ (I was looking to visit that beach two years ago), I guess a fine (if any) is was way cheaper

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 May 17:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

On which authority does a fire crew manager effectively detain a pilot?

I read this kind of stuff, and more particularly the strident reactions, and I shake my head. Some guy lands his plane on a runway that somebody was decided was temporarily closed. Nothing happened as a result. Ho hum.

I think the fire crew manager is a military guy? Then he considers an aircraft landing as “act of sabotage” of the runway and may decided to detain him for a hard “criminal trial” rather than get an easy testament as “war prisoner”

War of confinement is now raging between England & Wales

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 May 19:54

I would call it civil disobedience.

Berlin, Germany

On FR24 track (n412md) of the way back it looks orbiting Caernarfon EGCK for a circuit, before heading back home

I will go with innocent or on purpose navigational error? but on PC12 with clear sky?
More to it than just BBC and social media facts

I recall flying with Noe in TMG on short lunch to Old Warden we almost landing at RAF Henlow at downwind, VFR old nav with 2km visibility

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 May 20:20

Silvaire wrote:

I read this kind of stuff, and more particularly the strident reactions, and I shake my head. Some guy lands his plane on a runway that somebody was decided was temporarily closed. Nothing happened as a result. Ho hum.

It is an active military base! Try that in the the US and suggest you are just going to depart when you feel like it.

EGTK Oxford

I think a US base will be somewhat more active than a UK base.

Maybe by a factor of 100x, for Valley

Ibra may have a point, about a total cockup on the airport. Easily done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
53 Posts
Sign in to add your message