Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PC12 or TBM700 or TBM 850 vs Turbo Commander fuel economy

Sorry, I just can’t help myself, I know I’m annoying…

Here’s a recent trip I did in my friends 980. We went from Camarillo to Oakland, CA. As you can see in video, we cruise climb at 2500fpm at 130kts and reach FL280 about 18min after takeoff (and that was with level off’s from ATC, so interrupted). At FL280, you can see in video a fuel flow of 420pph, or 63gal/hr (fourth row from top of the engine instruments) and doing 297kts TAS.

In a PC12, you’d be looking at 450pph or 67gal/hr doing 267kts. More fuel, slower.

On the TBM 700, it’s a little bit better than the Turbo Commander, but not by much. 55gal/hr or 370pph would yield max cruise at around same speed, but then you’re down to well below max range. I don’t have figures for what long range cruise would be in the TC, but probably pretty similar in both speed and fuel flow.

An 850 does a little bit better with the extra 150hp, but the fuel flow goes up as well. In the list, you can see that FF at high speed is more than in the Commander at 446pph, but it does go 15kts faster, so it’s still going to be a little bit better on fuel economy.

TBM Performance

Hi Adam, I know that for you the Turbo Commander is the best but for the PC12 I have these numbers:
FL280: 350pph TAS:245kt
It’s in the -45 I fly.

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

The -47 at ISA is around 370 pph and a TAS of 260kts. 18 minutes to FL280 is good, is that with a reasonably loaded aircraft?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Meridian does 270kts at FL280 with FF of 270pph.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, @Romain my PC12 numbers were incorrect. I don’t know where I got them from… Seems like 375pph for about 270kts a PC12 owner emailed me and your numbers are in line with that. I love the PC12, btw. Think it’s a real SUV of the skies.

BTW, just heard that Texas Turbines started working on their STC certification of the TPE331-14 on the PC12. This is a “big bore” Honewell with Electronic fuel control/Fadec. It produces 1650hp and has 3600hr TBO, just like the PT6 and is well proven. When it gets done, it should be a magnificent performer. I’d expect the plane to do at least 300-310kts and climb like a crazy person, with increased range and less fuel burn at todays speeds.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 05 Oct 18:13

JasonC wrote:

Meridian does 270kts at FL280 with FF of 270pph.

Jetprop does 268kt at FL270 with FF of 232pph

On the TBM 700, it’s a little bit better than the Turbo Commander, but not by much. 55gal/hr or 370pph would yield max cruise at around same speed

55gph is 320 knots on a TBM900, ISA, FL310, normal cruise

Oh, and in another thread I reported ailerons freezing after departure in heavy rain and passing zero isotherm. I found out that it’s due to brushes installed in aileron hinge from 900 onwards. They are supposed to stop airflow through the hinge and give a 0,01kt (my guess) speed improvement..

Last Edited by loco at 05 Oct 21:11
LPFR, Poland

Nice thing to try to improve the speed of the PC12 but you will be quite fast limited by VMO and MMO…
On the NG you are already quite close to these speeds.
It’s exactly what you said a flying SUV when the TBM is more like a sport car.
This week, 10 POB, 1500lbs of fuel and luggage not a problem

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message