Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Peculiarities with latest UK LPV approach

H and V guidance, via the FMS, autopilot coupled. I’ve seen it. Very neat. GPS LNAV and Baro VNAV, probably. The MDA is still the published NPA MDA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do you mean the LNAV+V….that even 10 yo GNS430W can give….. so not limited to bizjets

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

There are lots of “virtual ILS” systems available to GA. GPS ILS has been mentioned recently in the Scilly thread, but even humble SkyDemon has one.

A_and_C, I won’t waste breath trying to persuade anyone that the ADF is a good idea, but I think that DME is vital, and that confusions resulting from GPS substitution of DME is a killer.

Personally, I would loathe not to have a DME, however glass my world.

EGKB Biggin Hill

So Peter, you’re saying operators can’t fly a GPS approach but they can fly a LNAV + Baro VNAV which is in fact is the same thing?!

LNAV/VNAV are GPS approaches. We’re not allowed to make it up as we go along!

Many operators are approved for GPS/RNAV approaches, including my airline. The difference is we’re not capable of LPV.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Timothy

ADF is the default position for an industry that failed to grasp multi-sensor navigation systems not the holy grail of radio navigation.

A_and_C wrote:

ADF is the default position for an industry that failed to grasp multi-sensor navigation systems not the holy grail of radio navigation.

I guess it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a combined GPS and DME navigator suitable for a light aircraft panel may become available at reasonable cost…there is no new technology that would be required to be developed… But what would drive the development of such a unit? A spate of malicious GPS jamming?

I have DME but no ADF. ADF is irrelevant but DME is very useful IMHO.

EGTK Oxford

No-one seems to be mentioning eLoran. That strikes me as have greater potential for GA.

Edit: Oh, I’ve just seen this. Shame.

Last Edited by Timothy at 01 Jun 17:53
EGKB Biggin Hill

Yes but DME is already deployed..

Sign in to add your message